chapter 4: The Party

Fleur's POV:

It's been two weeks since I've been in this house, and honestly, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, in the house of Fillip De Marco, apart from the incident I had with his brother on the first day and the everyday torture with Agnes. But I also can't forget our minimal interactions, they take up too much thought when they don't have to. I am making a bid deal, but who would not make a big deal from his soft touch? Who wouldn't replay getting lost in time in his eyes over and over? Not me.

Still, that does not change the plan to escape from this place. Now that I am not stuck in the basement of whoever Alberto gave me to, I can actively try to see if my sister was alive or not, I needed to. Also, no matter how well they treat me, in the end, I'm a prisoner, a gift, an amusement they would use and then throw away, and I won't wait until that happens. However, I will wait until I think it's the right time, and I can't rush that. If I ever have a chance to run, it will be only once. If that were to fail, then I'm either dead or back with Alberto, which could also result in death at this point.

Today, I sensed a change—a buzz around the house. While walking from my bedroom to the kitchen, I found all the maids decorating. Champaign and drink carts were standing next to the walls, and outside on the huge terrace with a pool, I could see speakers being set up. Another drink bar was added to the other side of the pool; a large number of guests will attend if they need all those two carts and two bars. 

 I entered the kitchen, looking for Nina. She's there, doing the usual cooking she did every morning, along with a couple of other maids. Recently, Nina and I have gotten close—not that I ever thought that would happen in any house I go to, but Nina is a great friend. I really needed her.

"Hey, what is all that?"

"Oh, there you are; here's Fillip's breakfast; take it to him; you're already late." She cut me off, turning around and shoving the tray into my chest before I could continue my question. I took the tray in my hand, sighing. Since the time we spoke two weeks ago, he hasn't acknowledged me. Not that I cared; I just didn't want to be his personal maid. I am still pissed about that. 

I got used to the place. I barely get lost anymore, but there is this one place that I'm not allowed to go; no one is. Not Nina, not Agnes, not anyone. It's the northeast wing of the mansion. I didn't understand why, and no one would elaborate, so I brushed it off.

Just as I was about to open his office door, someone did. It's that man who eyed me up the first time I brought Fillip his breakfast; I haven't seen him since, and I hoped I'd never see him again, to be honest. The way he stares at me stirs something in my core, but not in a good way. I don't even know his name. He stood in my way longer than he should have and eyed me up in the same disgusting way he did the first time.

"Excuse me," I say, making sure to sound irritated, and he just smirks and moves away. I quickly entered the room and shut the door behind me, glad to be away from this man.

The huge ceiling-to-floor windows behind Fillip's desk made him look more grand in the room. Unlike the usual times I visited, he had his velvet curtains pushed apart, showcasing the incredible view of the garden behind him. Again, it never ceases to amaze me how we could be in one of the biggest cities in the world and have a house that was so spacious built in the middle of it with a garden like that—at least I thought it was the middle of New York.

The windows illuminated the room beautifully. All natural, I thought, while Fillip sat on his desk. His strong back was to the light. His broad shoulders were bent down a bit, stretching his usual black suit. Morphing into a spectacular shade of gold, his hair shined greatly in the sun. Fillip didn't notice that I entered the room because he continued writing something on the paper on his desk.