Chapter 27: Ravaged souls

(not edited)

Fleur's POV:

 35 days...

For him, it's all for him and his girl's life; that's why I have to handle the utter torture of Mia counting the days. The sense of being oblivious to the hours was what brought me comfort; now even that one blessing I can't have.

We woke up for the 35th day more despairing than scared; even Mia has stopped crying. I wonder if she'd given up on the father she had so much trust in a few weeks ago. Did the realisation hit that he had never been there for her in his entire life? That now she doesn't believe he will be able to find her? But she must know he loves her; she must have felt that. That is where trust is born—in love.

She sits in my arms as we watch the wall. We have no idea why we watch it. Even the games of make-believe that we were having have stopped. It took energy to hope, to have the right mentality, and it took energy to make yourself believe you were happy. So when all that energy is drained, especially from a kid, it becomes quite clear that there is nothing left to do but watch walls.

As we were waiting, mostly for miracles to happen, the door opened. One would have thought it was the guard who brought us some food and water every day; all that went to Mia in the end. She would ask me to eat, but I would promise her I was fine. I was, to an extent; when I was here the first time, Alberto wouldn't even give me food, so I was quite used to it.

It wasn't the guard, though; it was the devil himself. The moment that Mia sees it's Alberto, she hides her face in the crane of my neck, shaking her head in fear. I rest my hand on her head, comforting her like her dad once did with me, stoking her hair.

"I promised you, Mia." I remind her of this promise I made to her the first day I saw her here. To her, they might have been just words, but to me, they were an oath. For when Fillip would find his daughter, she wouldn't have to resent him till the end of his life. He has lost so much already, and so have I. He lost me and his first wife; why should he lose his daughter too? I already have nothing left. So I remind her of that oath.

"I wouldn't be so heartfelt if I were you, Fleur," Alberto tells me, and I just ignore him. I do not understand what he was implying, so I ignore him and carry on caressing Mia's head.

"Take her," Alberto orders one of the guards, and despite all me and Mia's efforts to stop him from tearing us apart, we fail. When Mia, in the end, is with him, another guard walks in. He doesn't walk in alone, though; he has a frail figure with him with a black bag over her head.

Seeing those eyes after the guard took the black bag off caused my chest and throat to constrict. My eyes widen in fear, and I can't think. I can't think anymore. There is no way this is happening to me right now. I see Emma, my full-grown sister, whom I have never watched grow, next to Mia, and I understand what's happening here.

"Ah, you've caught up, Fleur. You have always been a smart one, you know?" For the first time in six years, I actually don't know how to answer Alberto. Even when I wouldn't reply to him, there was always a response; it was just a matter of timing, whether to say it or not. Right now, my brain can't form words anymore.

"Your choice, Fleur." He says, throwing me a gun, indifferently coldhearted.

"W-Why are you doing this?"

"You still don't know Fleur? I was just saying you were smart. Because you are important for Fillip. If I can't reach Fillip myself, I will do it through other doors. His daughter—he will hate you then, you know? If you choose your sister over his daughter, but if you don't, You will hate him. You will hate him because you didn't have the heart to kill a child when he so clearly brought you into this."