Chapter 26: Longing

Fillip's POV

When every fibre in your being is longing for someone, the pain becomes unbearable. It is beyond torture—something unexplainable. It's as if your soul is uncomfortable in your own skin. Like it's begging to be let out, to rave while searching and hunting, to try and find that other soul they are longing for.

To say I wanted to go around punching walls and screaming to ease that ache of my soul struggling to escape would have been an understatement. I was a madman, sitting still while seeing red in Leo's hospital room. I wanted murder, and I wanted Alberto to be the one who died at my hands. No matter what, he will be dying with my two hands wrapped around his throat until he cannot breathe, and even then I will keep pressing until his neck breaks in my hands.

I will not let him rest until I find him, and when I finally do, he won't rest even in his death. Already, many of his 'transactions' in the past two weeks have been stopped by my men and others by the police. It's safe to say he sensed the impending danger behind his back and laid off many of his men while staying low. Doesn't change a thing; no matter how much or how long a rat hides, he ends up running into a trap, his inevitable doom.

"Your face says murder, Fillip," Leo mumbles softly from his spot on the bed.

"You look concerned by that."

"I am."

"You should be concerned if it says otherwise."

"I would be concerned either way."

"You needn't be."

"I don't? Because any moment now, when a nurse or doctor walks through that door, you will be on your two feet, in position, ready to shoot."

I let out a long breath before answering, "I can't take him out of my mind."

"Go home, Fillip; have some sleep."

"I can't leave you alone either," I tell him.

"You can't lie, Fillip, not to me. I have known you since we were kids, since you took me home with you when you found me on the streets and told me your father wouldn't mind. You know, I heard him that day when he yelled at you and hit you for bringing a stranger with you. I slept with you in your room, and you told me it was all okay. Even your father the next morning said he does not mind me there, and even he was also lying."

I look into his hazel eyes, beaten down by exhaustion from the two bullets in his abdomen he took two weeks ago while trying to stop Alberto's men from taking Mia, as he continues, "Go home, Fillip, rest your mind for a few hours; I will be alright here with the three men scaring nurses on my door."

"I can't rest. He didn't just hurt you; he hurt Nina, Mia, and Fleur. I can't ever rest while this man is still breathing."

"I am not telling you to forget about it, Fillip. All I am saying is to get a few hours of shut-eye, at least to be able to think better. And please don't let Nina come here. Take care of her at home and keep her locked there; tell her I am fine."

Taking one last look at his eyes, which had softened by the thought and mention of Nina, I only nodded, sighing as I got up. Before I even reach the door, I can hear arguing outside. I believe it's one of my men, and someone else might be a doctor. Taking a measure regardless, my hands rest on my holster. Opening the door quickly, speech immediately halts, and the various faces standing outside look at me.

Stephan.

"Well, hello, Fillip; it seems like I have caught you right on time." He says, shooting one of my men a glare. I don't like it.

"What are you doing here, Stephan?"

"I tried to reach you on your phone but found the number to be out of service. I took the matter to an extent by flying from LA to New York in a matter of hours to get to your house, only for my car not to be let in by your guards."