Chapter 8: Reconsider

Fillip's POV:

Luc's laugh filled the air as we sat in our hotel room, drinking after the party. It was a good one, but for some reason, Luc, Leo, Christian, and I decided to leave early and instead came here and just kept getting drunk.

We were so drunk to the point where Christian was lying on the carpeted floor, Luc was losing it on the bed, and Leo was almost passed out from being awake so early this morning. Watching them, I got reminded of the good old days, when our laughs came out so carefree, just like we were exchanging cards.

I regretted ever taking any of their smiles for granted—taking Marie's for granted in a world where the thing close to you was always in danger, always at risk of being snatched away from you. I didn't realise that at the time. So I deeply relished this moment, knowing we won't have much like it any time soon; we won't even have the luxury of time to enjoy it, not in the mansion, not when we are around other people.

Then this magical moment was ruined by the vibrations of a phone.

"Whose phone is that?"

"I thought we agreed on keeping them off."

The boys talked, and then I answered them. "Well, you kept yours off; mine is kept on just in case. Also, it's Enzo; there must be something."

They just ignored me and started drinking and talking again while I answered my phone.

"What do you want?" I didn't know why he was calling, but at that hour, ruining our 'vacation' I had the right to get mad.

"Boss, Fleur ran away."

"What?" Rage and disbelief filled my voice. The small chatter in the background immediately went silent as Luc, Leo, and Christian all turned to look at me when they heard my perplexed voice.

"Boss, don't worry-"

"The fuck do you mean don't worry? How did she run away from you?"

The boys exchanged startled glances with each other.

"I've got it under control," Enzo answered.

"Oh, you fucking better," I told him, my voice deadly. Then I heard shooting in the background.

"DON'T you dare kill her," I warn him.

"It's just to scare her."

"Enzo I swear if I get back home tomorrow and she is not in that basement, you'll be in her place, and trust me, what you'll get for it would never be something you even had nightmares about. Do you hear me?"

"Yes, boss."

"Good," I close the line and look at the three men staring at me in horror.

"Get up; we are going home."

"What happened? Did she run away?" Christian questioned

Rubbing my hand over my face, I ignored him, but they won't just listen.

"Did she, brother?" Luc tried.

I looked up at them again. "Yes, she did. Enzo said he's got it under control, and I trust him. We are still going home; get up."

"Now?" Leo looked mortified.

"Yes now. So we would get home in the morning." I replied, putting on my jacket, already halfway through the room.

Someone will collect our things and come back with them. We took my car, and the driver drove us home to New York since every one of us was drunk. And I needed to get back there as fast as I could.