FORTY SEVEN

"Following his painting  'A Tale of a Love Forbidden' which sold $80 million at Sotheby's auction, Angelov Dieguez recently became the world's most expensive artist to date. His multiplex style, characterized by thick brushstrokes, a mild play of light and dark tones while maintining a high degree of realism on large canvases, impenitently explores themes of tragedy and the complexities of human affliction. Although what has drawn attention of the masses was the latterly exposure of his murals that has been spreading halfway across the world. With a blend of erotism, violence, sensual depictions along with a loud proclamation of unfathomable devotion, there is no doubt that this has what propelled Dieguez to be the new leading figure of romanticism and contemporary art."

Nilapag ni Cher ang dalawang magazine sa harapan ko. One of it is the latest edition of Time magazine, in where she has just read the excerpt of a four-page article about him. The instant these reading materials landed on my sight, averting gaze is no longer an option. Bumungad ba naman agad sa akin ang nagdidilim niyang mukha.

Framed within the surface of the iconic red border, lies the black and white portrait of him. Just Angelov in all of his brooding and monochromatic luster. No other gimmicks nor props, only him with his body angled to the side offering an open spectacle of his rose tattooes on his left arm. Ang madilim at seryosong mukha niya ay nakaharap din naman ngunit ang paningin ay nakatanaw sa kabilang gilid, tila may nililingon sa likod.

Marahan ang awang ng kanyang mga labi. The cinematic lighting and shadows have only added depth and definition to the innate chasm of his hollowed cheeks, while the upper cheekbones even sharper. His eyes, lazer-sharp but layered with the spawn of midnight inducing nightmares and it's as if he had seen an insulting image. O baka siya ang nang-iinsulto sa paningin pa lang dahil na rin sa pailalim niyang titig. His dark brows gave an illusion they were one because of the shadows, while his lashes appeared heavier as he half peered below.

The manner of his gaze, along with the collective strands of rippled hair falling on his face, suggested that he is full on revenge after resurrection that promises nothing but a bloodbath.

Or as if the claws of fragility is scratching its way out of the already cracked armor of what was once a solid faith of a surviving man. Bleeding new perspective, second chances, hope in the wake of agony, haunting memories...

Though deep inside, I knew his thirst for revenge had longed ran scarce. What I am looking at is an outright depiction of a man fully driven by his passion. Either in madness, desire, ambition, or the lust for life that he was able to fight his all for.

I'm guessing it was also intentional that they had him pose half-bare. Not to exploit his lean muscles and the sinuous grooves and contours of his toned body to hungry eyes, but to exhibit the art of his many tattooes. His torture scars on the other hand were even sharpened by the black and white film. A roaring testament of his survival.

And the big headline crowding the center side of the cover in red font:

THE MAN BEHIND Y DE GRECIA.

"It's also rumored that two major auction houses in the world..." Cher glanced at me from the newspaper. "I'm guessing Christie's and Phillips, is offering his paintings to be put on their next auction block. Another million dollars, baby!"

Dinagdag niya sa dalawang magazine sa mesa ang kababasang dyaryo.

A heavy sigh poured out from me as I pulled the prominent magazine with his face on it. Front cover. Huh.

Dalawang buwan at wala man lang akong kaide-ideya na may gagawin siyang ganito. I know he's not crazy about things like these, photo shoots and all, but it beats me why I was kept in the dark about it. Not that I needed to be informed of every little piece of him but quite the contrary of taking offense, I am highly regaled and all at once bemused.