12: Xierxu

Katara, Zuko, and Iroh all sat around a table sipping tea. After the events that transpired a couple days ago she just wanted Zuko to relax and take it easy. After she agreed to heal Sokka she went back to find Zuko shooting fire at Aang. Relieved to see that he had recovered, but still worried about him.

"See Prince Zuko, Katara was right. A moment of peace can be good for your mental wellbeing." The ship lurked forward causing the tea to spill on his face. Katara rolled her eyes knowing trouble was brewing. Zuko stomped onto the deck with Iroh and Katara at his feet. A large mole-like creature tore up a patch of the ship.

"What are you doing on my ship?"

"Here for a stowaway." The mysterious woman on top of the xierxu answered. She was clearly Fire Nation by the look of her hair. It was black and in a top knot. The beast raised its head as an Earth Kingdom man ran out. Katara's eyes widened and scratched the back of her neck while she watched the xierxu hit the man on his neck with its tongue, he immediately went still.

"Is he dead?" Katara asked quietly.

"He's paralzied." Zuko noticed answering Katara's question.

"Only temporary." June lifted the man and threw him on the back of the saddle. "The toxins will wear off in about an hour. By that time he will have already been in jail, and I will have my money."

"So you're a bounty hunter?" Katara couldn't help but judge. Growing up a princess she had to sometimes remind herself that some people weren't as lucky, and had to do other things for money. However, this woman seemed to enjoy it.

"How did you find him?" The gears in Zuko's head started to turn.

"My xierxu can smell a rat a continent away." The woman climbed back on the animal and rode away, off the ship.

"Well I'm impressed." Iroh said, but Katara figured it wasn't the xierxu he was impressed with. Katara rolled her eyes, Zuko glared at Iroh.

Zuko walked away from where they had been standing with Katara following him.

"What are you thinking?" Katara grabbed his hand. Zuko was looking out into the ocean. He did this normally when he was thinking hard.

"She could lead us straight to the Avatar."

"Yes she could." Zuko looked down at her. She immediately pulled him into a hug.

"Are you ok?" Zuko asked before he wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm not sure. I feel like something bad is about to happen." Zuko held her tighter and kissed the side of her head.

"Everything will be fine. Were going to capture the Avatar with the xierxu, then go home, and..." Katara backed away from the hug and looked at him.

"And?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.

"The rest is up to you." Zuko kissed her forehead and left. Katara stood unsure of what he meant. It could mean a couple different things. Katara stood looking at the water, more ready to capture the Avatar than ever.

Aang laid on Appa watching Sokka poke the fire with a stick. He was clearly lost in thought. Whether that was about his father or Katara. The sound of footsteps echoing over the sound of waves drew Sokka back to the real world.

"Who's there?" Sokka stood up boomerang in hand ready to throw. A figure clad in blue made himself known, stepping out of the darkness and into the fire light.

"Sokka?"

"Bato?" Aang looked between the two, realizing that they must be from the same tribe, clearly they knew each other. Suki the light sleeper was already out of her sleeping bag and had her sword drawn.