17: Seige of the North Part 1

Katara sat on a balcony, resting comfortably on the railing. A woman walked up next to her.

"Hey Yue," Katara greeted. Watching her white haired friend intently, she nudged her. "You ok?" Yue caressed one of her braids, her eyes were glued to the floor.

"Something happened." Katara turned so her whole body was facing her.

"Tell me?" Yue's eyes stayed on the floor as she pulled down the neckline of her parka. A necklace just like the one she had.

"I'm engaged." Katara brought her hands up to her mouth, trying to hide a gasp.

"I'm so sorry. Who is it?"

"Hahn, one of the councilman's sons."

"Yue I-" Katara was cut off by one of Yue's hands flying up to shush her.

"Please don't apologize there's nothing you could have done." Katara nodded, and an awkward silence made itself known.

"You know I have a necklace like that." Yue's eyes widened.

"So you're engaged? I'm guessing Prince Zuko?"

"No I'm not, that necklace was my mother's. My father gave it to me the day she died, before I was sent to live in the Fire Nation."

"So you're starting to remember?" Yue asked quietly. Katara nodded again.

"Ever since that fight last week with Pakku I remember so much." She looked away from Yue.

"Is that not a good thing?" Yue's eyes wandered at Katara's body position.

"No," Katara slightly shook her head. "The Fire Nation gave me so much, but now that I've seen these memories of mine... I feel conflicted, the one thing the Fire Nation never gave me was love, but I had a lifetime supply with my family."

"You had Zuko though, didn't you?"

"Yes, but that wasn't the same love." Katara turned back to Yue. "Imagine being told things your entire life, and then being told that those were all lies." Yue's eyes left Katara's gaze, turning her head to the side.

"I can imagine." She looked back up to Katara. "Throughout my childhood I was told that one day I would be a great leader, I would be the next Chief of the Northern Water Tribe. But then I get forced into a marriage I don't even want to be in, so a councilman's son can be chief one day." Katara watched Yue's eyes as water started to form in them. She grabbed her friend and hugged her. Halfway through the hug Katara started to laugh. "What is so funny?"

"I just never thought I would be friends with more than one princess."

"More than one?" Katara's eyes widened, how could I forget to tell my friend about my best friend!

"Princess Azula, she's Zuko's little sister and my best friend." Katara laughed, thinking another thought.

"What?" Yue asked, laughing too, hoping she wasn't missing out on something.

"This is just the first time I talked about her in a long time. And I definitely didn't mention her to Aang, Suki, and my brother. They are going to be very surprised when she comes and hunts Aang down." Yue's expression harded slightly.

"Why do you think she will hunt Aang?"

Katara stopped laughing and became serious. "I love Zuko, but Azula is a lot more talented than him. Ever since they were little. Ozai is also likely losing his patience now. Especially now that I can see clearly without lies blinding me, I can see how much Ozai truly hated Zuko." Yue nodded.

"Katara I have something else to tell you."

"What is it?" Katara softened her voice, noticing Yue's tone change.