14: Almost Together

Katara heard two voices speaking to each other in hushed tones. She pushed back the silk sheets and wrapped herself in a robe.

"Lu Ten?" Katara asked in a whisper. Lu Ten and a man were both discussing something over a single candle. The mystery man was dressed in red cloaks, but didn't seem Fire Nation. He reminded her more of herself; blue eyes, dark skin, dark brown hair. Both of the men's eyes were on the small girl.

"Katara?" The man asked. Lu Ten stood up and walked over to her.

"Who is that? Where is Iroh?" Lu Ten wrapped her up in a hug and held her up.

"He's my friend from the army." The man watched Katara as if she was a ghost. Lu Ten took her back to her room. "I only have a couple more things to talk to him about, then he will leave, but you need to sleep." Katara nodded and slipped back into bed. When Lu Ten left she immediately hid in the doorway. Lu Ten walked back to the Water Tribe man.

"She's gotten so big." Hakoda refused to believe it had been two years since he had seen Katara. It felt much longer to him, but he wasn't expecting Katara to change so much.

"I know," Lu Ten chuckled. "You should see her run around with Zuko and Azula. It's nonstop until their heads hit the pillow." Hakoda smiled sadly, wishing he could watch Sokka and Katara play.

"Anyway, Prince Lu Ten-"

"Please just call me Lu Ten."

"Lu Ten, I don't understand why you gave me this Lotus tile." Hakoda rubbed the smooth surface on the tile.

"As you know my father hopes you will join the White Lotus. This tile helps show people that you are a part of it. There are different ranks you can be in, with each rank you get to know more and more information. My father is grandmaster, and he wants you on one of the highest ranks."

"Why does he want me on a high rank?"

"We have another member from the Southern Water Tribe, she is located here in the Fire Nation. In a couple years when you're ready to join the war we want you to bring Katara to her."

"Why? What's so important about this woman?"

"She's a waterbender. She will teach Katara."

"Why do I have to take her, why can't you?"

"I'm going off to war soon, and I hope if Katara is finally reunited with you she will start to remember." Hakoda wanted nothing more than for Katara to remember him, but she was clearly happy here. In the South Pole the only thing Katara had ever known was the war, work, and death. Here however Katara was loved and taken care of, she always had a full belly, and she didn't have to fight the cold to stay alive.

"As much as I want to see Katara again, more than her accidentally walking into the room, I'm not sure it's safe. What if we get caught?"

"I can assure you Sir, we have many ways of getting out of the city."

"Won't the Fire Lord realize she's missing?"

"Yes of course he will, he keeps a close eye on Katara. Mostly because she is prone to getting kidnapped, but also because he sees her as a prize he won. The Fire Lord believes that one day bender or not she will help the Fire Nation win its victory." Hakoda shook his head.

"I'm happy to see how she lives here, she always has food and a smile on her face. But part of me wishes that I never let you take her." Lu Ten nodded sadly, after these two years, almost three he could never imagine his life without her. The little sister he never had.

"Despite how happy she is here, all good things must come to an end." Both men stood up and shook the other's hand. Lu Ten guided Hakoda out of the palace.

"Thank you for taking such good care of her."

"I promised you I would." Lu Ten pointed to a figure in a black cloak. "That's Master Jeong Jeong, he will guide you out of the city." Hakoda put his own hood up and followed the White Lotus Member.

Katara threw herself up in a sitting position. She looked around at her surroundings. Rolling her eyes she laid back down disappointed to see the Avatar and his friends. She turned away from them facing the forest surrounding them. The dream was weird. It felt like a forgotten memory, but with sleep Katara quickly forgot it. 

Jeong Jeong stood in front of the Fire Lord. The now Fire Lord Ozai. He had no idea how this meeting would go. Jeong Jeong had White Lotus business that needed to be dealt with, but wasn't sure if Ozai would let Katara out of his reach.

"Fire Lord Ozai, I have come here to speak about Katara." Ozai's eyes narrowed at the man much older than him.

"What business do you have with the princess?" Ozai hated acknowledging the fact that she was a princess, but even more he hated calling her by her water tribe name.

"I will be meeting one of our generals in the Earth Kingdom and I think it would be good for Katara if-"

"Stop," Ozai raised his hand. "She will be back in less than two months or it will be your head." Jeong Jeong raised an eyebrow at this. For someone who seemed to hate the Water Tribe and everything it came with, including Katara he seemed to hate her but at the same time keep her on a tight leash.

"Princess Katara?" Jeong Jeong stood in front of the palace waiting for the young girl. She walked with the prince and her two friends from the academy. The girl clad in pink gave her a hug. The raven haired girl simply exchanged some words with her. The prince gave her a letter and hugged her goodbye.

"Take care of Amuro for me." Katara looked between her friends.

"Can't I send Amuro in a couple days?" Zuko already hated she was leaving, but even more than that he hated being left alone with his crazy family. Katara picked up on what he was thinking.

"Zuko you'll be fine. You have Uncle." Katara pulled him into another hug. "But yes, you should send Amuro in a couple days." She whispered for only him to hear. Jeong Jeong and Katara left for the Earth Kingdom, soon to meet up with the low ranking White Lotus member, Hama. 

Sorry for the shorter chapter. I wanted to add more, but I've had a busy week. Forgive me if I'm late for updating the next part, I will try to continue to write as much as I can. Thank you for reading!