History Cruelly on Repeat

...

...

...

...

"...Did you get all that?"

...

"...Dad?"

"...Remember, this conversation stays between us since your mother doesn't like when I do this... But... I feel this is important... So..."

...

"...But... Why...would I...?"

"...Just in case... You must fear it..."

...

"...Fear?"

"...Mine's my boss. But that won't work for you; it must be personal... Something that even the nightmares will run from... You must..."

...

...

...

"Wake up, Commander, you're screaming again." A hand burst through the water and dragged Zeldri out of the dark ocean.

***

"Time!" A 16Lab technician clicked the stopwatch they were holding to stop the timer. "Weapons down!" The firing range was bustling with activity and noise, but the two t-dolls the technician was speaking to lowered their guns, unloaded their magazines, and placed their weapons on the table. "This concludes the final test. Return to your service bays for the results from the client."

"Of course," one of the t-dolls responded and picked up their gun, an AN-94, before walking away from the range.

"Very well," the second t-doll replied as she picked up her own gun, an AEK-971. The t-doll was about 170 cm tall and was dressed in baggy black camouflage patterned pants. Brand new black combat boots softly squeaked as she walked. A tactical vest was secured over a tight-fitting grey shirt. Shoulder-length platinum blonde hair flowed freely down her head. She slung her rifle over her shoulder and followed AN-94 out of the range. The two didn't speak a word to each other as they walked down the hall. For as little time as AEK-971 had been active, and from the few times she'd been with the t-doll during tests, AN-94 seemed like a quiet t-doll. That was fine, as AEK-971 also wasn't too keen on talking with someone she was competing with to join a special operations team. This was the last test to determine if she would be picked by a special client.

"..." Without a word, AN-94 turned right down a fork while AEK-971 continued straight until she approached her room.

"Welcome back!" As the door opened, a man inside gave her a warm welcoming shout. Her creator; Maxim Verkov. "How did it go?"

"They're waiting for the client to-"

"Aisha~!" Maxim was pouting, now.

"..." AEK-971 gave a partially annoyed sigh. Her creator was quite an eccentric one, but that was a part of his charm. "During small group target designations, she had me beat. But, when it came to larger forces that required sustained fire, I pulled ahead."

"Hmm," Maxim rubbed his chin. "Makes sense. Take away the hyper-burst and the AN-94's just a good rifle. Even if we're talking about t-dolls, they're obviously no better tha-OW!" Maxim was about to start bad-mouthing AN-94, but his assistant smacked him with her clipboard.

"Please don't diminish the abilities of our peers, sir." Her tone was controlled despite hitting him. AEK-971 had seen this scene plenty of times, before.

"...Not even my own staff believe in me..." Maxim threw his arms around AEK-971 bringing her into a bear hug. "You believe in me, though, Aisha! You'll always be on my side!"