Knives in the Dark

"Welcome back, again, Commander." Annika was waiting in the lot for Zeldri's return which had been delayed as all t-dolls present at the secret base had to be given a clear of Parapluie infection before they were allowed to leave. The lot was as busy as usual, but the staff and dolls still found time to wave and greet their returning commander.

"I feel like I keep leaving my base despite Kryuger telling me I'd be on the backlines when he hired me," Zeldri jokingly complained as he stepped off the helicopter with Storozh. Despite the fact they were fully repaired, it was evident that AR-15's betrayal struck something with the t-dolls. Even AA-12 seemed a bit out of it. "You girls take some time off."

"Thank you for your concern, Kommandant (Commander)." StG44 gave a bow as she accepted the well-earned R&R for her team.

"Good," AA-12 complained as she attempted to distract herself, "I'm gonna sleep for the week, so don't send us anywhere in the meantime."

"I won't, so hurry to your dorms before I change my mind." He wanted to lighten their mood but wasn't sure the best way to.

"I'll take them there!" Then his answer appeared as C96 jumped out from behind Annika and excitedly waved her hand.

"Before you sleep for the week," Zeldri teased, "Could you spend some time with our newest recruit to help her get more acquainted with the other dolls?"

"..." StG44 knew a t-doll didn't need that much hand-holding and understood that Zeldri was trying to get them to interact with one another and hopefully come to terms with what was happening. She warmly smiled as she gave her reply, "Very well, Kommandant."

"That alright with you, Annika?" A smile played on Zeldri's lips as he saw his gift to Annika was well received.

"Of course," Annika chuckled at C96's happy demeanor. "Meet me in the warehouses when you finish as we have some inventory to still do."

"Okay~!" 

"I don't think babysitting counts as R&R, Commander," AA-12 complained.

"That's because you don't know how to make friends," Nagant chastised, "Even when we're not fighting, we must broaden our wisdom with experience."

"I see, well I'm glad you've at least started taking my advice."

"Advice on what?"

"Did you get that quote from the back of a milk carton?"

"My," M2HB smiled as she watched AA-12 and Nagant stare each other down, "I hope you like lively company, C96."

"I love it!" C96 gave one last wave before walking into the base with Storozh. Zeldri and Annika watched the pistol t-doll lead the echelon into the base as they slowly made their way to the waiting Tigr.

"Your new assistant seems rather lively," Zeldri commented as they reached the truck. "I hope you'll be able to keep up with her?"

"Of course," Annika replied and she turned to face Zeldri.

"Anni-?!" Zeldri was about to ask what was wrong before Annika brought Zeldri into a hug.

"Thank you, Zeldri." Her voice slightly shook and Zeldri could feel tears on his shirt.

"Oi, that's enough of that," Zeldri calmly patted Annika's back and gently pushed her off him. "I don't want to be known as the commander who keeps making his staff cry."

"That sounds like a you problem, Commander," Annika playfully chuckled as she let go of him and got in the driver's seat of the Tigr.

"Indeed, the Commander needs to be more careful how he acts."