CHAPTER 1

It was in year 2013 when Jo Ash Briones was staring at their classroom window watching the sun sets down in the peach orange sky. The clock on the wall ticks five in the afternoon but Madame Maxeme was still discussing about their final requirement. She dropped her almond eyes through the door wishing her teacher to dismiss them early. She wants pizza. She wants to go home. She wants to change her uniform to shirt and pajamas.

"Junior students, since we only have few weeks remaining, I want you to conduct an interview to be passed on Monday. This requirement will give you additional points blah blah blah...."

She doesn't understand the words her teacher was saying. She only understands "interview" and hearing that specific word gives her a feeling of nausea.

"Yes Miss, d'ye have any question regarding this matter?"

The whole class looked at Jo but she chose not to notice it. She's more concentrating on what her teacher called her. Madame Maxeme was grinning, but her spectacles spark like it was going to blind her. She even saw Jean giving her just-pretend-you-have-an-headache-look sign. Hah, she doesn't know what's happening now.

"Oh my God, she's coming. Say that you only have a stomachache Jo," whispered Aila, her seatmate.

She looks at Jean who was sitting in the left row of the class giving her signs to Aila who was muttering words of encouragement beside her. She doesn't know whom loop to choose. She feels like she's torn in two.

"Questions, Miss Briones?" her teacher asked again. This time, she's nearer, and her hair pulled into a bun was giving Jo a hallucinations of explosion the second time she ignore the question.

She took a deep breath before she stood. "Ma'm wala po. It's just that, it's just that. . . ahhh. . ."

She doesn't know what to say. It seems like her brain stopped functioning. She looks at her teacher, but Madame Maxeme just mouthed, What?

"I just wonder what rewards the other teachers get if they make it... overtime," she blurted out and her classmates laughed hysterically. Aila and Jean blushed. It was then that she realized that Madame Maxeme's bun was shaking in anger.

"Oh no, Ma'm. I didn't mean it that way," she defended breathlessly. "Actually, I am interested on what you were discussing awhile ago. Don't mind me," she finished as though she wished for nothing more than to sink onto her chair and vanish.

Madame Maxeme scrutinized her carefully like her eyes possess a lying detector. She turned her back and walked with such modesty before facing them again.

"That was close," she whispered to herself.

"Very," Aila added.

"I want that requirement first thing in the morning. I don't accept late," she said while putting her chalks and eraser into place. "Are we clear?"

'Yes Ma'm!' the students answered in unison.

Madame Maxeme gets her bag.

And finally bade them goodbye.