CHAPTER 8

Jo learned them well. She drinks. She smokes. To forget how stupid the world is even just for a little bit minutes. She escapes her classes. She doesn't do her assignments. But she reviews her lessons. She wasn't a gangster, a mob, an emo or any of those shits. She was just a rebel. Yeah, she really was that, and all of them ruined her life.

Her other classmates growing concern everyday−a kind of attention she never knew she would get despite the negative issues they impute her. They would ask her questions where she was on this day and that. She smiles when they tell her not to mind them and just let the karma strikes them. That they are always there for her. That sometimes, even though how many kindness you did, one mistake and they will judge you.

Jo realized many still believe her. So at those bad times, she remained herself calm and silent. But that was just inside the classroom. Every night, she would slash her wrist to release the ache. She wants to be sure if she feels pain anymore.

Sadly, she's not.

Blood, with tears. Three slices, not pizza but flesh. She practices self-harm because she doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings anymore. She doesn't want to speak for she knows they wouldn't understand her words. She doesn't want to make a move for she's afraid to be judged once again. 

Until she became a reporter to their Health subject when Nielle thrown her a question.

"What do you feel when they call you blah blah blah..."

Jo knows that this would be the moment she's waiting for. The right moment to release everything she tried to ran away. She knew that this could be kinda sensitive but, she needs this.

"Okay lang. Syempre pakumbaba nalang. Kwento lang naman yung alam nila at hindi yung nararamdaman mo. . ."

A tear fell from her eyes. She looked above quickly to hide it, wishing it will return where it came from. She thought she can manage the feeling. She thought she's already numb.

But she's not. Unfortunately, she's not. Her phrases caused feedbacks. Some pretended they didn't hear it including Cleo, Rose, Anne and Joy. Others bowed their heads. At the corner of her eyes, she saw Aila, Jean, Nielle, and few of her friends grinning at her. Wynwyn shuffled her feet uncomfortably. She even caught a glance of Reene and company murmuring at each other.

You started all of these, I s'pose. Jo said at back of her mind. Be prepared now to receive tons of shits.

Jo finished her report and sat down. Others said sorry. Well, it's just okay. She doesn't care anymore. She learned her lessons.

She learned how to choose a friend.

She learned how to keep a secret as a secret.

She learned how to stand up and fight again.

Jo was surprised the next morning she entered the classroom. There on the board were bad writings in different font styles. Not addressed for her, but to the people who ripped her. She doesn't know if she's going to laugh at them or what. Everything was turning up-side-down. She smiled silently.

She survived from those darkest months.

She won.

~ Excuse me boss, you have a text message. ~

Jo's bringing back of memories suddenly cut when her phone rang out.

<<._> hi, cxi thopsZ na to. bat kA nqa pLa nqtEtexx dt0? atE cku nqa pLa unq nkatExx mu kninA.>>

Thopsz? Is she kidding me? Oh eh, bakit hindi nagbago ang format ng text? Parehas sila ng ate nya ganern?

<<ah, ikaw pla. sori sa disturbance knina. wronq dial lhan pu acu.>> she replied. Maybe, this person can't do anything. She thought.

<<._> aus Lhan. cqe, tExt kna Lhan kpaq kailaNqan mu nan fRiend. haha.>>

<<haha. friendly ka n0h? cqe ba. inqat nlan en sori ule :D>>

<<._> cqe, inqat din :)>>

After a little conversation, Jo didn't reply anymore. She called her Lolo Tops to start the interview. She knew it would be weird, but well, she prefers to be cranky. Five weeks remaining and they are already Seniors.

The final stair in high shool.

She's very much excited to step.