CHAPTER 22

Heather was itching to go abode. The fact that she loves to take care of her grandfather in the hospital, the worst it appears to be that she would not be with her friends to have fun. But deep down inside, there's logic between fact and worst. Her mind was calculating sourly enough to connect the remaining propositions.

Mother and grandmother would tell me how lazy I am.

'Father would never give me my allowance anymore.

My brothers don't want me anywhere seeing Tops. She sighed. "Well, that's the bottom line, isn't it?"

Heather pursed her lips and glanced up warily on her screen. It's already 8:11 in the evening. Still no response from Jo. She runs her fingers through her hair―eyes blazing―though not anger, but confusion. She loves Tops but tired of it. And yet, Tops doesn't want to finish their relationship. She loves―likes—no, loves Jo too.

This is bad. She whispered. And she didn't reply anymore.

When she woke up the next morning, her mother was already besides her stroking her hair.

"You didn't eat," she said gently. "Go home. Ethan will give you a drive."

Heather coaxed her hair one-sided and applied a small amount of powder on her pale face. Her small lips were glossed. She looks beautiful even in a simple make-up. As she exits the hospital, she hurriedly grasped her cellphone in her pouch and opened it again.

"I almost forgot to text her," she muttered.

"Who?" her brother asked. "Tops?"

"NO!" she squeaked. "I loathe her." 'I lied.'

Ethan nods quizzically. Heather ignores him.

1 message received

From: Mine_o3

Since my hand can't reach you, let my prayers hug you with God's love and blessings, guidance and health, not only today but always. Good morning! :)

GM. o3

HEATHER

#mahalnamahalkoyungbabaengnapasosatambuchokagabe:P

Heather nearly fainted. Eyes alarmed. Mouth slightly parted. Over all, face flushed. She's asking herself why why why―many whys. She's grinning from ear to ear, but quickly fades when a sudden pang of guilt runs down her spine: Let me remind you, young lady. You have a girlfriend. Her name is Tops. Do you have an idea how coquettish you are?' her conscience pique. 'But okay, forget about her first. Busy yourself with your raging hormones transforming into butterflies knotted inside your stomach.'

Ethan glanced in the sideview mirror catching Heather smile. She looks undeniably in love. He frowns and gives back her attention to the road anyway.

Our number and my name are enough. But reading her hashtag like this, I feel extra special. Not mentioning Tops' being oh-so-lack-of-sweetness-kind of girlfriend. She said between her nerves.

<<._ luka nto .. mhal na mhal din pu kta :)>>

<<hahaha.. azan kna?>>

<<._ ksakaY dto sa mutOr.. nLalaqnat pa nqa aco ii..>>

<<aBa, inum nq qamot.>>

<<._ bwaL pu ako sa qamot.. aLLerqy ii. nqkakapantaL.o2x aco paq nainoM ako nq qaMot..>>

<<oh.. e panu qaqaLinq ean?>>