Chapter 32. Green eyes.

It's no longer just a nightmare, the truth is right in front of me. He was dying. He was dying a slow and painful death. I lay there, listening to his in sharp, shaky breath.

The cuts on our arms, legs and hands are deep and painful. There's glass surrounding us. The blood... the blood is everywhere. I try to focus on his face. His pale, distraught face. His lips form a line and his eyes are pleading. I can feel his grieving heart under my palm and I will for it to keep beating. But the longer we lay there... the longer we wait, the weaker it gets. The weaker I get.

The park is silent. Icy mist stirs up over our bodies. I feel impulsed to hold him when he starts shaking, but I'm scared to hurt him. He looks so fragile. Like if I was to hold him too tight, I might just break him forever.

His eyes never leave mine, but every so often they close for a few seconds and then reopen, reassuring himself that I'm still there. I tell him with my eyes that I'm never leaving him. I'm here.

"B- Br-rooklyn."

I answer him with my eyes.

"Y-you need to go."

"I'm not leaving you." I hear myself whisper.

He frowns and shakes his head. "Go." he says sternly.

"No." I say in a austere way that even surprises myself.

All of a sudden, the blood rushes to his face, causing my heart to beat frantically. 

He tries to stand up, but he's too weak.

"GO!" he shouts, making me jump.

Tears shed from my eyes and roll down my cheeks. 

Please. Please. Don't do this, I say with my eyes.

He doesn't see it. He's too angry, too unconscious and too out of his mind to see the begging in my eyes.

"Brooklyn," he says through his teeth. "leave."

"But Harry I can't-"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" he shouts, making another lump form in the back of my throat. "I DON'T NEED YOU HERE. YOU'RE NOTHING TO ME. YOU'RE NOTHING. LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE!" he repeats, maybe a hundred times.

I sit on my knees in front of him, with my hands covering my face, shaking my head. I squeeze my eyes shut and start crying. I cry and cry and cry.

I cry until my throat is dry, until my head is throbbing, until my eyes can no longer shed tears. Until there's nothing left of me. 

 Once I reopen my eyes, my heart is in my throat. He's gone. 

I jump up and look around me. I don't understand, I can't make sense of what is happening. The fog is thicker now, making it impossible for me to see anything. Once I've spun around on the same spot nearly a hundred times, I feel dizzy and worn out. I wrap my arms around me, squeezing my arms to my chest. I bend down, fall to the floor and feel myself curl into a ball. And I begin screaming. I scream and scream, drowning out the sound of my drumming heart and thoughts. All until I feel someone's hands on my shoulders, shaking me. Shaking me until I stop. But I can't.

"Brooklyn," the soft but raspy voice sends a shock down my spine.

And then I stop screaming.

"Brookie, it's alright."

"Shhh, it's alright. Everything's going to be alright."

"It's alright..."

"It's alright..."

"It's alright..."

"It's alright..."

"It's alright..."

I hear it over and over, so many times I wonder if I'm just saying it to myself. 

But then the voice becomes louder and more clearer, like it was right next to me.

My hearing gets clearer and clearer, and I can count the frantic, pounding beats of my heart to mark the time. I can count the shallow breaths that gasped through my teeth.

I feel a faint pressure inside the crease of my elbow and someone's warm breath on my ear. "Brookie, I love you. I'm so sorry."

I will myself to open my eyes, but black spots obscure my vision and cover the light in the room and a sharp pain in my head makes me shut my eyes again.

"Brookie!" 

"Sshh, give her time." a woman's voice says.

My eyes shoot open and I'm met with familiar green eyes. But of course they're not grey... they're green. They're not pleading nor distraught. They're relieved. They're Harry's.