Chapter 5. I missed you.

Thankfully my mum isn't as angry as I expected her to be when I get back home; she only gives me the usual telling off and then she's back to cleaning the house and making herself busy.

I was listening to my Ron Pope CD that Harry burned for me last year, neatly painting my nails when I hear a motorbike park outside our street and a few minutes later I hear a quiet knock on the front door.

I get up from my bed and carefully open my door so I don't smudge the paint, but by the time I reach the stairs, my mum has already beaten me to it.

"Oh, Brooklyn? She's not home..." my mum says quietly.

"Do you know where she is?" I hear a raspy familiar voice ask.

I squeeze my eyes shut, take a deep breath before running down the stairs towards the front door.

"Brooklyn, there you are." my mum says, faking a smile.

"Yeah, I was upstairs painting my nails." I say.

"Okay, well... I'll leave you two to it then." she says, sighing before giving me a wary look and making herself busy in the kitchen. I know she's secretly going to listen to us.

I shyly look up at the boy standing before me. I see his smile first, his soft peach lips forms a grin once I make my way up to a beautiful set of grey eyes with green flecks, surrounded by eyelashes any girl would envy. When I step a bit closer, I realise they look distressed and under them are dark circles. His dark sandy coloured hair is wind-swept and he's wearing a dark grey hoodie with black writing, three quarter length jeans and black scuffed vans that I remember him wearing every day since the day we met.

He still manages to look perfect.

"Hi," he whispers, not taking his eyes off mine.

"Dougie," my voice is a little shaky and I try to compose myself.

Dougie steps a little closer to me and gazes down into my eyes; it feels like he's staring into my soul.

I smooth the frown on his forehead and he manages a weak smile. He cups my face with his hands and slowly leans in and plants a sweet kiss on my lips. 

He pulls away and looks into my eyes again.

"I missed you." he whispers. 

He's so... relaxed.

Before I can reply he asks, "can I come in?"

I look behind me at the slightly open door and then back at him.

"I'm not sure, Dougie... you know what my mum's like-"

"It's fine." he whispers, stroking my cheek, "I just wanted to see you."

I close my eyes and treasure the moment. I shiver at his touch and his cool breath on my face.

"Thank you," I say, taking a deep breath and swallowing, "for coming."

He nods. "I better go," he says, looking back at his motorbike that's parked on the other side of the road.

I nod.

He wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my forehead. I look up at him and smile goofily. I can't help it.

"I love you Brookbun," he says, before letting go of me, walking down the porch steps, jumping on his motorbike and riding off without looking back.

"I love you too." I whisper into the empty space around me.