Chapter 13. Now it's just... different.

- Harry's POV -

I’m lying on the grass under the old oak tree, staring up at the blue sky, watching as the clouds slowly sweep across the sky.

My deep thoughts are interrupted when I hear rustling noises from the bushes, I sit up and see Hayley struggling to climb over the bushes in her mini skirt. 

"Hey there," I chuckle.

Hayley groans as her t-shirt gets stuck.

"Want some help?" I ask.

She nods and I get up and lift her up over the bushes.

"Thanks." she says, as I put her back down.

"What brings you here?" I ask, sitting back down on the grass, leaning my back on the oak tree.

"What do you mean? This is my place." she says, dusting herself off.

"No, if you remember rightly, it was me and Brookie's." I say.

"Whatever." she says, sitting beside me.

We're silent for a while, I sit there and stare into space while Hayley picks off the petals from a daisy, one by one.

"Are you okay?" Hayley asks me quietly.

I look at Hayley and shrug. "I dunno..."

"What's wrong?" she asks.

"Just... Brooklyn."

"What happened?" she asks warily. 

"I just ruin everything..." I mumble.

"Oh no, what happened?" 

"She's just so frustrating!" 

"Harry, tell me what happened!"

I let out a deep breath. "We had an arguement..." I say, looking at Hayley. Her expression is blank. "and I kinda brought up Dougie..."

"Oh God..." she says, rolling her eyes.

"I know I shouldn't have but... I just don't want to see her get hurt."

"Why? What happened?" Hayley asks, scooting closer to me, her eyes full of concern.

"Well, me and Brooklyn came here yesterday after the library and I had my arm around her and Dougie came out of nowhere, piss-headed as ever, saw us together, got the wrong impression, he called Brooklyn a bitch, I swung at him and I ended up being crushed against this tree." I say, pointing at the tree my back is against.

"Oh shit." she says, rubbing her forehead. "Are you okay?"

"I split the back of my head, but other than that I'll live."

"Oh dear..." she bites her polished nails.

I nod. "Yeah, and then we had an argument when I got to hers and... I don't know." 

"What was the arguement about?"

I fill her in on what happened, I don't go into detail that much but I tell her enough so she gets the drift of it all.

"What are you gonna do?" she asks.

I shug, "I dunno."

"Well you've got to do something. You can't afford to lose her again."

"I know..." I say, picking at the grass beneath me.

I wonder what she'd say if I told her I loved her more than that...

"It's just so hard to talk to her these days and she's just changed so much since being with him." I say.

"I know." Hayley says, sighing.

"We used to be able to talk about everything, you know? And now it's just... different."

"I know." Hayley says again, nodding. "You need to talk to her."

"I can't... she won't listen."

"Make her listen!"

"It's not that easy, you know how stubborn she gets."

 Hayley sighs. "Fine... do you want me to talk to her?"

"Can you?" I look up at Hayley. She flicks her blonde her over her shoulder and nods.

"Okay, just," she gets up and pulls her skirt down "you owe me one." she says.

I nod.

Hayley attempts to climb over the bush again. 

"Oh and Hayley?"

She turns around.

"Are you, you know... okay?"

She frowns and nods. "Of course, why?"

"Well," I get up and walk towards her, "just the thing with Josh yesterday, I thought-"

"Everything's fine." she says, attempting to climb back over the bush.

Unfortunately climbing over the bushes is the only way out of the park as no one uses it anymore; the vegetation has grown so much there's no exit.

"Okay... Uh, do you want a hand?" I ask.

"Nope." she says, tugging on her skirt as it's caught on a branch.

"Are you sure?"

She tugs on her skirt again, but she does it so hard that she falls foward and onto the ground.

I can't help but laugh.

She gets up again quickly, dusts herself off and gives me the evils before walking off towards Brookie's house.