Chapter 10. Ice cold.

It's already 10 o'clock by the time we reach my house and mum said she wouldn't be back until 1 or later. I get my key out, unlock the door and step into the house, followed by an injured Harry.

"I'll go get you some ice," I say, turning on the lights on the landing and then in the living room. "you can sit on the sofa."

I go into the kitchen and put a handful of ice from the freezer into a tea towel and wrap it around a few times. I get a cup and pour some cold water into it with some ice, as well.

When I return to the living room, Harry's elbows are leaning on his knees and his head in his hands.

I sit down on the sofa next to him and slowly place the ice on his head. 

"Ouch!" his head shoots up abruptly. "That hurt..." he says, wimping slightly.

"Sorry... here." I hand him the glass of water and he thanks me before gulping the glass down and placing it on a mat on the side.

"So, shall we try this again?" I say, smiling lightly.

He nods and I slowly and gently dab his head with the ice. He sucks in air as it touches him again and I pull away quickly.

"Are you okay? Are you sure you don't need to see a doctor?" I ask.

He shakes his head, frowning. "No no, it's just sore at the moment."

He leans his head back on the sofa and gazes up into my eyes while I concentrate on dabbing his head again.

"Thank you, Brookie." he says, showing his dimples.

"Don't thank me, it's the least I can do." 

"I'm sorry." he says then.

"For what?" I ask, frowning.

"For punching Dougie... I didn't mean to, I just..." he trails off, looking outside the window into the darkness. "I just, don't like the way he talks to you."

"He doesn't always talk to me like that..."

"I know, but, drunk or not he should always treat you like a princess." he says, touching my hand that's dabbing his head. He takes the towel from me and puts it on the side and holds my hand. He starts drawing invisible circles on the palm of my hand and I watch inquisitively.

I should pull my hand away, furrow my eyebrows at him and continue dabbing his head, but I can't. I just sit there and watch him.

"You know I'd do anthing for you, right?" he asks.

I nod.

"And I care about you."

I nod again.

"And you know... I love you." he says, not looking up from my hand.

"Harry, how damaged is your head?" I say, laughing.

"No I'm being serious here. I do love you." he says.

I sigh and look away. I'm still not capable of pulling my hand away; half of the reason I don't is because I need the comfort and the other because I don't want to hurt his feelings.

He looks up at me uneasily.

"I love you too, Harry." I say, trying to sound as sincere as possible. "but just not that way."

I watch his face fall slightly and he slowly stops drawing circles on my hand. He lets go of my hand and then leans forward with his arms on his knees.

He shakes his head, looking away.

"What... am I not good enough for you?" 

"No, Harry, don't say that."

"Well it obviously seems like it. It's like everything I do- it's like I just, can't get to you anymore. You never want to tell me anything anymore." he says irritably.

"It's not that I don't want to..."

"Why then? You're not aloud to? Has he wrapped you around his finger so much you can't tell your best friend anything anymore?" his voice becomes angrier by the second.

"Why do you have to bring Dougie into everything all the time? He has nothing to do with our friendship!"

"Oh really? I can't hold my best friend for 5 minutes without having my head bashed against a tree. Is that it?" he says, standing up.

"Harry, don't do this." 

 "No, you know what. I can't deal with this anymore. I'm sick of seeing you like this." he points at me angrily. "You lied to Dougie about being with me the other night, didn't you? Now you're lying to me."

"I'm not lying!" 

"Sure you're not! Right, you look me straight in the eye and tell me you love Dougie. Go on, do it!" he demands.

I feel a lump in the back of my throat and seconds later a tear streams down my face.

"Do it!" he shouts

I take a deep breath and stand up straight. "I love Dougie!" I scream. "I love Dougie so much, it hurts.

Harry freezes in front of me, he's shocked. I feel his heavy breathing on my face, as we are only inches apart. He leans forward and for a second, I think he's going to kiss me. But he pushes himself away from me, before grabbing his coat from the sofa and walking out the door, slamming it behind him.

Everything in the room is still. It feels like someone's sucked me into a dark hole of the endless feeling of emptiness.

I break down right there. I can't help it. My body just falls to the floor and I begin uncontrollably crying my heart out.