Chapter 29. Subway.

Just as Harry and I enter Subway, I feel my phone buzz in my handbag and my ring tone starts sounding Aerosmith. I put my bags on a table near the window and take out my phone from my handbag. It's mum.

"Hello?"

"Hi, love." she says warmly.

"Hi mum, how are you?"

"What do you want to eat?" Harry asks quietly.

I cover the phone and say, "Hmmmm... the chicken wrap please. Here, I'll get it." I take out my purse and give him a 10 pound note.

Harry shakes his head and I frown at him. "Harry, take it." I say firmly.

He rolls his eyes and takes the note. "And get something for yourself, too." I say to him.

"Sorry, mum... Harry and I are just getting something to eat. I'm starving."

"Oh, Harry!" I call him back. "Can you get me a bottle of water please?" 

Harry nods and walks over to the counter to order some brunch.

"Glad to hear you're apetites back." mum says.

"Yeah... it is actually. But the food at the hotel is just so hard to refuse."

"Is it nice?"

"It's amazing... I wish we could've stayed longer. I'm a little tired now though..."

My mum waits a beat. "Oh... why?"

"I couldn't sleep very well... even though the beds were so comfy. But I just laid there, worrying." 

I quickly regret mentioning the bed situation as I can sense my mum is about to ask if we'd asked for two single beds - which we didn't - and I, being the worst liar ever, was afraid of being caught.

But thankfully she doesn't. "Oh baby... you'll do fine. Don't worry."

"Easy for you to say."

"You will!"

"But I'm scared..."

"Of what? Simon Cowell's not gonna bite your head off, Brooklyn."

All the happy nervousness jumps out of me at once and I burst out laughing. "He might..." I say once I get my breath back.

"Don't be silly," mum laughs.

Once we're both quiet, mum adds, "At least you have Harry, ey?"

"Yeah..." I say, looking up at him. "he's been great." I say, really meaning it.

"Good," I can hear my mum smiling and I can't help but smile, too.

"Look, I'll leave you two to eat, OK?"

"OK mum,"

"Speak to you soon, sweetie. Good luck!"

"Thanks..."

"I'll be watching you on telly!" she reminds me.

"It sounds weird when you say it like that..."

Mum laughs. "Don't worry, OK? Just be yourself, I'm sure they'll love you."

I smile. "Thanks, mum."

"I love you."

"Love you too."

As I end the call, I feel a lump in the back of my throat and it takes all my will power to stop the tears forming in my eyes as Harry arrives with the tray of food.

"Alright?" he ask, sliding on the sofa-chair opposite me.

I smile. "Yes. Yes I am." And this time, I mean it.