Chapter 30. Fear.

It feels like years since we broke up for summer. Well, maybe not years. But it still feels like a long time. And it doesn't feel like summer at all really. As I look out of the window in the train, brown crispy leaves fall from the trees onto the grass, and the sky looks grey and overcrowded with dark clouds, hovering close above. It looks like it's going to rain any minute now.

I shift in my seat. I'm over thinking everything. I'm anxious now; the further the train takes us from home.

Harry senses it; he takes my hand and squeezes it. It comforts me a little.

During the whole train ride, I can't stop thinking about what everyone else at home is doing.

But mostly Dougie.

I fear not knowing what he's doing.

I think over every word that was said outside the school gym. I blame myself. I just wish I could go back and change... something. Anything. Just so everything will be OK again. I reminisce that night. His bloodshot eyes glaring into mine and feeling his warm, shaky breath on my neck as he pins me to the wall...

I shiver and it wakes Harry up. "Are you cold love?" he asks, in a croaky voice.

"A little," I lie.

Harry takes the jacket he was leaning against and gives it to me and I drape it around my shoulders.

When I hear Harry's soft snoores again, I stand up, trying carefully not to wake him. I slide open the door of our room and stand where the exit doors are. It's colder here, so I slip my arms through Harry's jacket.

I unlock my phone and click 'contacts' and scroll down until I see his name. I smile because I remember he saved his name under Dougdun, and somewhere on his phone I'm under Brookbun.

I lean against the exit door and take a deep shaky breath before pressing 'call'.

One ring. Two rings. Three rings. Four rings. Five rings. Six rings. Seven rings...

My breath catches in my throat as I hear a crackling noise on the other line... but it's just his answer phone.

And this is when the worrying starts.