Chapter 7. The local library.

Hayley's voice interrupts my deep thoughts in the local library the next morning. 

I feel like I'm going to fall asleep any minute but Anne insisted on getting Harry and I to go the library to finish our joint French assignment before Summer holidays ended. Me and Harry thought we'd be evil and bring along Hayley and Josh.

Anne didn't take the news too well on him not finishing the rest of it; Harry's grounded for a week, but I know he'll get out of it somehow.

I look around and see a few familiar faces from school but none of them acknowledge me, even if they did look up from their books they wouldn't bother smiling at me. I know it.

Harry's sitting next to me, his eyebrows are knitted together as he scribbles down his last page. Josh is sitting next to him typing away on his phone.

"Brooklyn!" Hayley nudges my arm.

"Huh?" 

"I said, it's your Birthday soon." 

I'd almost forgot...

"Oh yeah..." 

"How are you celebrating?" she asks, then before I can answer, "Oooh, we could go to that new club that opened up last week with everyone and then we can organise a massive slumber party round yours with all the girlies and watch movies, drink vodka from the bottle and eat popcorn until we throw up!" she says excitedly.

I raise my eyebrows at her.

"What?"

"Oh, I dunno..." I say, shrugging, picking my pencil back up and doodling on my notebook beside me. "You have to be 18 to get in that club anyway."

"So? I was 16 when I got into Liquid."

"Yeah, but you can pass for 20 in heels and a skirt, I pass as a deranged trannie."

She scoffs, "No you do not! Oh come on, Brook, sweet sixteen! It has to be special." she says.

"How do you say 'handheld' in French?" Harry asks, looking up from his paper.

"Brook's Birthday's on Wednesday and she hasn't a clue what to do." Hayley says to Harry.

I roll my eyes and look up at Harry. "ordinateur de poche." 

Harry nods and writes it down.

"We could go to that new club?" Harry suggests.

Sigh.

"That's what I said!" Hayley says.

The librarian looks over at us, frowning. She widens her eyes at us and puts a finger to her mouth.

"I don't want to go clubbing anyway." I whisper.

Hayley sighs, "then what do you want to do?"

I shrug, "stay at home and watch movies?"

"God Brook, you're so boring..." Hayley says, crossing her arms.

"Finished!" Harry says, happily handing his assignment  to me.

"Finally." Hayley says.

"So, how about I treat you both an ice cream from Super Scooper or something?" he asks, looking from me to Hayley.

"I thought you were grounded?" I ask.

"She'll never find out, besides she's out with Robin." he says.

"Alright..." 

Harry stands up and holds his hand out for me to take it, I smile and take it and he pulls me up from the messy pillows. 

"What about you, Hayley?" Harry asks.

She's hesitant for a moment and then says, "Um, sure. Yeah okay." 

Harry takes her hand and pulls her up, too.

"Josh?" Hayley taps his knee.

"Huh?" He slowly looks up from his phone.

"We're leaving."

"Oh, okay." he says, standing up.

We walk out of the library and make our way to the parlour.

Josh walks in front of us with Hayley, his arm is wrapped around her waist and his other hand is texting away on his mobile. 

"You coming to Super Scooper?" I watch her ask.

"Oh, is that where we're going?"

Hayley nods.

Josh looks back at me and Harry then back to Hayley. "Uh, sorry but, mum says I gotta go home early to... uh, tidy my room."

"Oh... okay." I watch her face fall.

"See you later, yeah?" he says, before kissing her cheek and turning the corner and making his way, supposedly, home.

Hayley stands there, frozen for a second, only her long blonde hair is blowing in the agile wind.

"He's not going home, is he?" I whisper to Harry.

Harry shakes his head.

We watch as Hayley looks back at us with a blank expression, before turning in the opposite direction and making her way back home.