Chapter 6. Sing for me, Brookie.

I'm in my room on a Saturday night, sitting on my window sill, looking out the window up at the dark sky, thinking about everything. School, my future, my love life, family, friends... everything and everyone. Even my dad.

He was an author and journalist, he was always someone I could look up to, I idolized him so much sometimes I thought he was famous. It sounds silly but that was how important he was to me.

He always used to encourage me to read and write a lot when I was little, but I was never that interested. I only liked books when he read them to me.

My dad died of cancer when I was only 5 years old, he didn't leave any money for me and my mum and my mum didn't have a job at the time. It was hard enough for her coping with his loss let alone finding a job in London.

After about a month of trying to find any job she could possibly get, she finally got in contact with someone, her name was Anne Cox. She was confident, formal, kind and very beautiful. She worked and still works for a charity called Believe in Magic, for terminally ill children.

We packed up and moved to Cheshire, which was where my mum was going to work. We settled in a lovely house near a park and a lake I used to visit quite a lot. My mum went to work straight away and I went to nursery. That's when I met Anne's son, Harry.

We instantly became best friends, we were inseparable. If he wasn't at my house, I was at his. It was always like that. My mum didn't mind and neither did Anne, they were both happy we managed to get along so well.

Harry was the light at the end of a dark and endless tunnel for me. When my dad died, it was almost as if I'd forgotten to smile and have fun. Harry was always trying to make me laugh by doing silly things or tickling me until I peed myself, literally.

But I was always happiest when he was singing to me. He used to sing to me every day, we were only little, so he didn't know many songs other than nursery rhymes, but it didn't matter; to me he had the most beautiful voice in the world.

It was the end of May, a few years after we'd moved into our house. We'd all walked to the park from school; my mum and Anne were sitting on benches across the street from us, chatting away while me and Harry were at the lake, sitting on the benches and throwing bread for the ducks.

"Sing something for me, Brookie." little Harry says. 

I shoot my head up from the ground at Harry. "What?" 

"Sing something, I've never heard you sing before." he says, tilting his head to the side.

He's wearing a white T-shirt with a picture of a football on, blue shorts and football boots. He looks adorable.

"But I can't sing..." I say quietly, looking down at my little pink jelly sandals.

"Of course you can, everyone can sing!" he says, tugging on my dress.

"Not me," I say, shaking my head.

Harry scoots closer to me and lifts up my chin with his finger.

"Please? For me?" he says, his eminent green eyes gaze deeply into mine and I really can't refuse.

I take a deep breath before looking out at the lake and singing my favourite song in the world.

Isn't she lovely?

Isn't me wonderful?

Isn't she precious?

Less that one minute old

I'd never thought, through love we'd be

Making one as lovely as she, 

but isn't she lovely made from love?

After a few seconds of finishing my song, I have to see if he'd left as it's so quiet, but when I look, he's sitting there with his mouth wide open and his eyebrows are raised. He looks amazed.

"What? Am I really bad?" I ask.

"No, you were amazing Brookie!" he exclaims. "Why didn't you tell me you could sing like that?" he asks.

"I don't know..." I say, taking off the crusts from the bread and throwing it into the lake.

"I guess no one ever told me I was good." I say.

I watch as 2 big ducks swim up to the crusts, one brown one and one black one, they fight over it for a while and in the end the brown one gets it and swims away again.

I notice a little ducklin in the corner is by himself so I get up and lean over the gate and throw a whole piece of bread in the water next to him and watch as the ducklin looks both ways before quickly swimming up to it and returning to its corner and eating the bread.

I feel Harry beside me, he watches me for a moment before taking my hand and saying, "Well I think you're amazing, Brookie."