Chapter 22: My Role Here

Zack's POV~

It's been a few weeks since I've been invited into the Lunar Star pack. Since there wasn't any particular role that was open in the pack, Liz made me John's assistant. I suppose it makes sense though, considering I've been staying with him since the moment I came here. 

His tasks weren't all that hard, but not necessarily easy. His main role was to watch over the pack and see if anybody misbehaves or gets in trouble. He also has the task to look after the pups of the pack for a short time. I kind of hate to admit it after our first meeting, but it's kind of cute watching him work. I mean, the way he plays with the pups and acts like a natural born leader around everyone is quite cute.

Now, that isn't to say I'm past Brian. I mean, I've been with him for a year, even if it was against my will. Also, don't think I've fallen for John. Sure, he's a great guy and all, but I don't have that spark I felt with Brian. I want to get past this, but I don't know if I can.

Anyway, it was around lunch time and I was given the task to retrieve a lunch order for me and John from the kitchen. That was basically my role here. Do as told by John, as long as it's within my ability. The tasks John has given me hasn't been too much. Pretty simple things for the most part.

Once I grabbed the lunch order, I quickly went back to his office to make sure it was still warm by the time I got there. It seems that compared to the Northern Lights pack, the Lunar Star pack actually has a order ahead system. And plenty of talented culinary wolves to fill out each order. It seems they also prioritize the orders based on the role of a wolf. Since John is the beta, he has a priority order on him. Same goes with Liz and Ella. However, from what John said, they don't worry too much about Liz and Ella since Ella likes to cook for Liz and make her own meals. I guess that's what it's like to be the mate of the alpha.

I entered the office after knocking and getting a "come in," from John on the other side of the door. He smiled when I came in with the food and I went over and gave him his food. He scooted over with his desk chair and brought over another chair from across the room. However, instead of sitting in his desk chair, he sat in the other chair. He patted the desk chair, motioning me to sit next to him and eat my food. Normally I would eat by myself in the corner of the room, so this is a first from John.

I hesitantly walked over to the desk chair and looked at John, a little unsure.

"Are you okay with this? I mean, this is your office chair. Shouldn't you sit in it?" John replied with a bright smile.

"It's fine. You've been through a lot. I should've been more considerate sooner and let you have the comfortable chair. So please, go ahead." I gulped nervously and hesitated to sit down.

He handed me my lunch, which consisted of roast beef, a bread roll, and some mashed potatoes. John, on the other hand, ordered a dinner. Not literally, but quite literally at the same time. A juicy steak with mashed potatoes,  fried shrimp, and a side salad.

We ate together and I kind of enjoyed it. Having company while eating has been a first for me for a little while. At least since the time I came here and Ella gave me some bread to snack on. By the way, the best bread I've ever had.

While John and I ate, I saw a fork with a tiny piece of steak on it held in front of me. I looked at John and he was smiling.

"Come on. Try it. I'm sure you'll like it." I nodded my head and went to grab the fork, but he pulled it away. He smiled and chuckled a bit.

"Say 'ahhhhhhh,' Zack." I didn't question it and did as told, getting fed the piece of steak. He did not lie when he said I'd like it. I've never had a steak this good since... Well... First meeting Brian...

John smiled at the delight on my face, but to be honest, it was kind of hard for me to hold back my tears a bit. I mean, the first thing I had when I met Brian was a steak, and this flavor matches that same steak Brian made. It was almost enough to make me tear up. And it seems John noticed this.

John hugged me tight to him, rubbing my back a bit. "You can let it out, Zack. No one's here, but me. I'll keep this between us."

I nodded and hugged John back, crying for a little bit. I hate to admit it, but I miss him. I miss Brian. I miss his hugs and constant needy cuddles. I miss the pats on my head he's give me. I miss the kisses he'd give me. I miss him...

John continued to comfort me as I calmed myself down. His fur is so soft and warm. Maybe even softer than Brian's.

After the moment, we ate the rest of our food.

John's POV~

I can't resist how cute Zack is. He's a really loyal assistant. I do feel bad for him about his past, but I look forward to the future. It honestly hasn't taken me long to get attracted to him. I really can't stop thinking about him. He's only been here for a few weeks, yet he was able to make me feel so happy. I want to feel that kind of happiness forever.

It was adorable when I fed him, and I loved the feeling of hugging him so close to me. I promise, Zack. I'll take care of you. Better than that alpha. I know I'm not supposed to go against fate, but maybe you can be my mate. My second chance mate...

Our moment to ourselves was soon interrupted by Liz. She came in and looked at the two of us with a serious look.

"We have a guest. And it requires the both of you to come and meet them." We didn't question it, so we followed the alpha to her office. Upon going there, I see a familiar face. That face being the beta of the Northern Lights pack. I believe his name was Blake.

Upon seeing Zack, he had a look of relief on his face.

"So it's true you did take him in. That's good to know." Liz raises an eyebrow at his words. She's probably still sour about that alpha kicking out Zack.

"State your business, Blake. And make it quick. I'm currently not in a good mood with learning that my pack member had been abandoned in the woods." Liz says with seriousness. Blake gives a confused look.

"In the woods? He was left at his former home, from what I know." Liz looks at Zack, expecting and explanation.

I held Zack's back, rubbing circles on it to ease the pressure a bit.

"It's true that Brian did leave me at my home when I was still human. But the house I once owned had been in the process of being sold to someone else. Plus, I knew I couldn't blend in with the other humans as I am now." Liz nodded at the explanation and looked back to Blake.

"So why have you come looking for Zack?" She asked in a stern voice. Blake nodded and looked at Zack.

"Brian wishes to bring you back to the pack house." Blake said with a small smile, looking as if he felt somewhat relieved.

I, however, wasn't fond of the idea. My eyes went dark as I held onto Zack's shoulders and brought him up against me. I held him possessively, not wanting my assistant to be taken from me.

"No."