Chapter 26: Relocation

TW: slight violence and blood

Zack's POV~

I didn't hesitate as I ran into the blaze. I needed to find Eric and Brian. Brian probably moreso since Travis likely has Eric kept safe. Even so, I needed to be sure.

John called out to my name, following close behind, probably so he can protect me. Very much needed. I can't help but wonder what's going on through John's head. He must be reliving a nightmare right now. I can't imagine how bad this feels to him.

"Brian! Eric!" I shout as I look all around me. John reaches me and holds me close to him. "Hey! Anyone out there?!" John calls after I do.

Me and John run through the blazing building, helping any wolves we see make it out of the blaze. Luckily most wolves of the pack had already escaped thanks to the help of the Lunar Star Pack. I heard Liz say the only person left was Brian himself. John, Liz, and I all ran to the office, where he most likely was when the blaze started.

We enter and see him breathing heavily with his eyes a bright red. His eyes were glowing and he was covered in blood. But it wasn't his.

On the floor was him. The Zack Henderson that was to be Brian's true mate. Brian looked at the corpse on the floor with anger in his eyes.

"You were never my mate..." he says with anger. His claws were still out and he was breathing heavily. He looked at us and his demeanor changed. He went back to his normal self and smiled upon seeing me.

Suddenly, we hear a large cracking sound as a pillar from the hallway began to fall. John and Liz escaped easily, due to their werewolf instincts. But I'm part werefox, and my reaction was delayed. I tried to move out of the way, but knew I wouldn't be able to escape. But the pain of burning wood landing on me didn't come.

I look up and see Brian staring down at me. He holds an affectionate stare in his eyes as he smiled down at me. He presses his forehead against mine chuckles.

"Mine again, as it should be. I told you, didn't I? I'm coming for you, and I came back. I'm gonna keep you safe from now on. I really love you, Zacky." Brian says as he kisses my forehead.

From the side, we both hear a growl, that growl coming from John. Before anything could happen, Liz got between us.

"Enough! You two can be sappy and you two can argue later! We have to get the hell out of here and now!" Liz says, giving them a reality check as they both remember we're in a burning building.

We all ran out of the burning pack house and watched as it burnt down to the ground. As I watched my old home burn to the ground, Brian was keeping track of everyone to make sure no one had gone missing.

Blake stepped in while Brian sighed with relief that everyone seemed to be okay.

"Brian, your mate. Zack Henderson. He... didn't come out." Blake said with a hint of nervousness. He probably was well aware of the disdain Brian had for his goddess chosen mate.

Brian looked his way and sighed. He approached Blake and held his shoulder with one hand.

"Henderson is dead. He was a threat to the pack, and he was the one who caused that fire. I had to do what was necessary to prevent this thing from happening again. I know that he's done it before, and there's no doubt he'd do it again." Brian says as Blake nods. Brian turns away from him and looks over at Travis.

"What's the status on any rogues other than Henderson?" Brian asks. Travis nods with a serious look, but a nervous one. He grits his teeth.

"Most got away. We managed to make them weak enough to do no more harm, but they managed to leave." Travis said with guilt in his voice.