Chapter 23: Visiting my Former Alpha

Warning: Potentially sad chapter up ahead

Zack's POV~

"No." I hear John say as he holds me against him. There was a sort of tightness to his hold. One that feels familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I know for a fact I've never once met John before I was welcomed as a pack member here.

Liz looks at John with a hint of seriousness.

"John, let's hear him out." John shakes his head no, tightening his grasp on me.

"Why should I? Brian abandoned his false mate, making him sick, hungry, stranded in the woods by himself with little to none hunting experience. If we didn't get to him, he probably would've met his fate by now. So why should I listen to what his Beta has to say?" John says with anger in his voice. Not gonna lie, it was nice knowing John really cares. Touching, really.

"John, it's good to know you care for your assistant, but keep in mind that this is his choice. Whether or not he chooses to visit Brian is none of your business." John looks down at the floor, knowing full well she was right.

Liz looks at me with a serious look on her face.

"Zack, you come with me. Let's talk in private." I nodded my head as John hesitated to let me go and talk to her.

We both enter a secluded room, one that almost looks like an interrogation room. She sits down in a chair and I sit down in the one on the other side.

"Zack, I'm going to have to ask you to consider the consequences of going back. Keep in mind that even if you do go back, Brian can't accept you. That'd go against the moon goddess' choice. You know our devotion to her, and you know we don't go against her as much as possible."

I nodded my head sadly, and she noticed it too. She sighs and looks at me with a concerned look.

"Zack, you probably noticed this, but John really cares about you. You've been a great assistant to him. He's been so much happier ever since you came into our pack. There's also a reason behind that. So I'm going to tell you his story. He wasn't always a member of this pack."

I nodded my head, wondering what may have happened with John and his past.

"John used to be an alpha of his own pack. We were never able to get the name of his pack because he refuses to talk about it. He was a great alpha though. He loved his pack, and he loved being a leader to those who needed him. However, disaster struck one day as a large group of rogues went to his pack house and tore it to shreds. They had no mercy on anyone. Not the females, not the leaders, not even the children. John tried his best to try and flee, but in the end, he ended up watching his own home burn down. As well as his mate who had been trapped inside. He lost everything that night, and was forced to live on his own, escaping the rogues in the process."

I was surprised to learn how awful his past was. It made me feel upset for him. Very upset. But I didn't cry though.

Liz sighed and looked at me.

"Zack, I hope you know that I don't intend to release you as a member of our pack for the sake of John. So I'll let you visit Brian. Check on his well-being and tell me what's going on at the Northern Lights pack. I imagine he's not going to be at his best after parting with you. Hence why he set Blake up to find you."

I nod my head in understanding. I then looked back at her with a serious look.

"Liz, can I take John with me?" She was a little surprised at my request. She closed her eyes to think before nodding.

"Yes. In fact, it's better that you do. With that new future luna there, it's going to be a tense situation between you and him. Seeing as you're half fox and half human, you probably don't stand a chance in a fight. So John will be your guard."

I nodded, thanking her before we both went out of the room to where Blake and John was. I went over to John's side as Liz explained my choice to both Beta wolves.

"He has chosen to visit Brian. But he won't be parting with our pack. He is merely visiting. And John will be guarding him to make sure he's safe. Are we in agreement?" John nods his head, probably relieved that he's going to be with me.

Blake, however, seemed to be thinking. But soon, he hesitantly agreed. Soon, we were both on our way to the Northern Lights pack, which I know can't be too far away since I was able to run from there to the Lunar Star pack once. Blake continued to guide us back, and soon it was visible. My former home for like a year.

Blake opened the front door and let us in. As we went in, John held me closer to him, probably nervous of what might happen. Blake stopped in front of us and looked at us.

"I imagine you remember where the alpha's office is, correct?" I nodded my head, gaining a nod from him in return.

"Then I'll leave you here. Be safe." Blake said before heading to his room.

John stayed close to me and we walked to the alpha's office. Brian's office. I knocked on the door, gaining a "come in," from the other side. I gulped nervously, gaining some back rubs from John who smiled down at me, easing my discomfort.

I opened the door and there he was. Brian. He was busy with paperwork and stuff and didn't even know it was me. He then looked up with a surprised look. He got out of his chair, literally jumping over the table, knocking down some papers onto the floor.

He slowly approached me, making the grip on John tighten with each step Brian took.

Brian suddenly ran to tackle me into a hug, but before he could reach me, John pulled me out of the way, resulting in Brian hitting his head against the door.

He rubbed the spot where he hit his head and faced me. He then ripped me out of John's grasp and hugged me, very tightly.

"Oh my god, Zacky. You have no idea how much I missed you. I'm so sorry!" I didn't know how to respond, but John did as he ripped me back into his own hold, with an even tighter grasp than Brian had on me. It honestly kind of hurt.

"You have no right to hug him like that. He's not your mate." John said in an angry tone.

Brian gazed at John with a dark look of anger.

"You don't have the same mark around your eye. So you're not his mate either. So why should you tell me whether I can or can't hug him?"

The room was starting to feel awkward. There was a deafening silence in the room. One that could drive one insane. The alpha and beta just stared at each other with deadly glares. I worry what might happen next.