Chapter Five/"I've Missed You."

I didn't understand why I was feeling so happy when I came home.

Surprisingly, when I woke up the next morning, the good mood I was in last night was still happening.

I still had a smile on my face and I was still thinking about the good instead of the bad (which was so unlike me).

I looked through my closet in search for some clothes that fit my mood, but none of them did.

I shoved all my clothes aside and scraped to the bottom of my drawer, finally finding a floral zip front bralet from my old "popular girl" days.

Pulling off my night-shirt, I put it on and look in the mirror, not believing that I'm actually seeing what I'm seeing.

Looking through my other drawers, I find my old vintage Levi high waisted denim shorts (rolled up). My mom gave them to me when I was little.

She told me that when I was old enough to wear them, I'd be able to be my own person and I wouldn't have to run away from my nightmares.

Sliding them on, I try not to think about how I used to try them on every day on my birthday, just to find out if I was ready to be an adult.

I haven't tried them on since I started doing drugs.

Sifting through my nightstand, I pull out a pair of my old gray knee high socks and stuff them on, glancing in the mirror and letting the smile on my face complete my outfit.

I open my closet and look through it, looking for something particular.

When I finally find it, I pull the dark brown knit cardigan over my shoulders and walk back to the full length mirror.

Knowing I need something else, I look through my closet again and find my Steve Madden Camarro boots.

Kneeling down on the floor, I slip them on and go back to the mirror, happy that the look seems to be completed.

Grabbing my backpack, I walk out of my door and hurry down the stairs, wanting nothing except to sink my teeth in to some food and head out the door before my mom or Star wake up.

I search through the cabinets and find some muffins covered in plastic wrap and hid inside a cracker box.

Classic Mom.

Always addicted to the sweets, never wanting to share them.

I take a muffin that looks like it's chocolate chip and run out the door just as I hear a door creak open.

💀 💀 💀

"I'll take advantage while you hang me out to dry, but I can't see you every night...free"

About A Girl by Nirvana rocks my ears as I set out for the front doors of my school.

"I'm standing in your line. I do hope you have the time. I do pick a number too. I do keep a date with you."

Kurt Cobain has always been like a father to me.

He tells me about how life and love really treats you: like a father should do.

Someone taps my shoulder and I spin on my heel, ready to punch the person in the nose for disturbing me, but it's just Hunter.

I smile and offer him a lame "Sup".

Pausing my music, we walk towards the Junior hallway, my hand occasionally brushing against his.

I reach my locker and expect Hunter to go to his, but he stays and stands next to me with his head facing down towards the ground.