Chapter 23

The party was great. We were all so thrilled for one another. I mean c'mon, my two best friends and I are all getting married to celebrities! Who wouldn't be happy? And Tonia was pregnant! I couldn't believe it. I was a little hurt that she didn't tell me, but I got over it. I was having too much fun. My mom left the party early so she could catch her flight back. I was going to miss her being around. Next time I'd see her I'd be getting married.

I fell asleep on the couch, exhausted by the days events. When I woke up I was in bed, Pete's arms wrapped around me. I felt like a kid again, being carried to bed. I didn't mind. I snuggled up against Pete's warm chest. I wondered how it was always warm, no matter what. He opened his eyes.

"I'm sorry did I wake you up?" I asked him.

"Nah. I have to get up anyway for that press conference."

"Oh yeah I completely forgot! So how many people are going to be there?"

"Just a bunch of people working for different magazines and TV Shows. Some film crews. Nothing big. I want you to come with me."

Why did he want me to go? It's not like I was going to go on TV in front of millions of people, was I?

"Why?"

He shrugged. "I can't be without you for too long."

I smiled at him. "I guess I'll go then."

He smiled back and kissed me. "I'm going to get ready. If you're wondering anything about the conference just ask the conference manager, Miranda. She should be in the kitchen talking to Patrick."

I quickly got dressed, throwing on a pair of dark skinnies, a boxy striped tee, and boots. When I walked out into the kitchen I saw the woman who I assumed was Miranda talking to Andy. They were both smiling and laughing at each other. They looked over at me.

"Bonjour!" Miranda said waving at me. She had a strong French accent. "You must be Cricket." She held out her hand. "Such a unique name, oui?"

I nodded. "So you're the manager of the conference today?"

She nodded excitedly, her pretty brown hair bobbing up and down. "So happy to manage such an exquisite band! Here in France we love Fall Out Boy." She looked at Andy. "Especially Andy here." She winked at him and he blushed.

"I'll leave you two alone." I said smiling. Today was going to be a good day.

---

Pete walked out of our room and into the kitchen, looking dashing in a plaid shirt, black jeans, and a gray hat. He held his arms out and spun around for me. "You like?" He asked, arms outstretched.

I walked up to him and straightened his collar. "What do you think?" I said wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him softly.

"Not to interupt you or anything, but the conference starts in an hour." Miranda chimed from the kitchen table where she was still talking to Andy.

Pete stopped kissing me. "Ready to go?" I nodded.

He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "Pete? Is there anything wrong?"

He shook his head. "Just a little worried that's all. The press can turn whatever I say into something I didn't."

"It'll be fine." I promised.

He smiled and led me to the door. We rode the elevator down to the lobby, where two security guards were waiting to escort us to the limo.

They nodded us hello. "Mr. Wentz. Ms. Stanfield."

I smiled at them both, I was having a good day so far. I felt bad for not getting Andy the date I promised him, but he seemed to be having a great time with Miranda. Maybe he'd work up the courage to ask her on a date. The limo drove us to a tall, modern looking building. I took a deep breath. Fans were lined up along with camera crews behind police tape on both sides of the entrance. They screamed Pete's name, crying to be so close to one of the worlds biggest sex symbol. I snorted. Not my fiance. The driver opened the door. The cries became louder. I took another deep breath and squeezed Pete's hand. I was ready to face the world.
---

Pete stepped out of the limo first, offering me his hand when he got out. I took it and stepped out of the limo. The crowd erupted. I had never heard anything that loud before. I froze like a deer in the headlights. What was I supposed to do? I wasn't used to this.

"Cricket." Pete said. "It's fine."

He squeezed my hand. I squeezed it back and walked towards the entrance, a death grip on Pete's hand. I look from side to side. I couldn't tell whether or not they were happy to see me.

"They're going to hate me." I said to Pete.

"They will not."

"I'm just glad they don't know the news."

He just nodded. It was a relief to finally be in the building, the noise of the crowd muffled by the thick glass. My lip began to tremble.

"Pete..."

He looked at me, a worried expression on his face. "Babe? You ok?"

"I just...I'm just..." A tear slid down my cheek.

"Oh, Cricket. Don't cry please, please." He wrapped his arms around me, surrounding me in his comforting warmness. "What's wrong?"

"It's just scary I guess. I'm not used to all the attention...I don't want them to hate me, Pete. I know they will. Fans are harsh."

He pulled away and looked into my eyes. "They will not hate you. They will love you and accept you into the fandom. Ok? If they don't they'll sure get a mouthful from me, ok?"

I nodded, feeling a little bit better. We waited for the others to get here before making our way down a small corridor to the conference room.

"Ready?" He asked me.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

The room was packed with writers for newspapers, magazines, and tabloids, people from news networks, gossip shows, and day time TV, camera men everywhere. I was glad I wasn't going to be on camera. The rooms buzzing silenced when Pete walked into the room. He pointed to three chairs where Tonia, Jillian, and I would sit. He squeezed my hand one last time before he and the guys took their seats behind a big desk.

Miranda stood before the crowd. "Let the conference begin!"

The room erupted with questions. I couldn't single out just one. They obviously knew what they were doing, calling on random people to give them a turn on asking questions. Most of them were boring so I just zoned out. I took a sip of water.

"Pete, E! has broadcasted videos of you and your supposed girlfriend, Cricket."

I spit out my water and started to cough. Tonia shushed me and started patting me on the back. I covered my mouth with my hand so no one would pay any attention to me.

"Ok?" Pete said.

"So is she exclusive?"

The room nodded in anticipation. They obviously wanted to know.

"Funny you bring that up actually because I brought her here with me today."

The room became alive and started looking around the room. I slumped down in my seat.

"And yes we're exclusive." What was he doing? "Actually, I proposed the other day. We're getting married."

My jaw dropped and the room exploded. Cameras flashed and writers began jotting notes down fast onto there papers.

"Would you like to meet her?" Pete asked.

I didn't think my mouth could open anymore but somehow, it did. My worst nightmare was coming to life.