Chapter 19

The stomach pump was painless. I could already breathe better. The anistesia wore off after an hour or so, so I chose to just sleep it off. When I woke up I was ready to go, sick of the hospital. When I was finally allowed to leave, I was expecting Pete to come rushing to me, embrace me in his warm arms and kiss me with his soft lips, but he didn't. I waited another half hour, but he didn't come.

The limo driver came in after a while, and told me he had orders to take me back to the hotel. I shed a tear as he took me out to the limo. Pete wouldn't leave me to go sightseeing with the others, would he? My heart sank a little. I texted Tonia and Jillian, asking them if Pete was with them. They both said no. I knew Pete wouldn't leave me like that. He was hiding from me. I felt like bursting into tears. He was the only one that I wanted to see right now, and he didn't want to see me. I knew how he was feeling, ashamed. I know him well enough to understand his emotions.

I used my good leg to crawl into the back of the limo. I was glad no one was outside to greet me. The driver said he was taking me back to the hotel, but I wasn't going back just yet. I was going to find him, no matter what. And I was going to find him fast, or my heart might stop working for good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pete's POV: I don't know how she found me, but she did. I had been sitting there, alone for the past three hours. There was almost no one left in the station. I wanted to jump in front of one of the trains, but I couldn't. I was staying strong for Cricket, no matter how much I hated the world. I was surprised to see her face in the station. I admit, I was a little relieved. She did not look happy, storming towards me in the dark light of the metro tunnels. She pushed herself off the wheelchair and pulled me to my feet. She pulled me to her and hugged me, hard. She started sobbing into my shoulder, getting my hoodie wet. I squeezed her tight and tried to tell her it was ok but she wouldn't listen. I held her shoulders and pushed her back so I could look into her gorgeous eyes.

"I'm ok." I told her.

She stopped crying. Then she slapped me in the face, but not enough to hurt me. "Don't fricken leave me like that! You have to give me some kind of warning. I needed you and I had no idea where you were!" She screamed. "Pinky promise me you'll always be there when I wake up." She held out her pinky. I shook it and pulled her into a kiss. Damn, I love kissing her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was glad I found Pete. He gives me a sense of relief, of meaning when I'm with him. I feel worthless when I'm not in his presence. I hope I had knocked some sense into him when I "slapped" him in the face. I could never hit that hard in the first place. He wheeled me out to the limo. I couldn't stand being in a wheel chair any longer. I made the driver stop by the hospital on our way back to the hotel.

"What are you doing?" Pete asked, concerned. "Are you alright?!"

"I'm fine. I'm just sick of this damn wheel chair. I'm getting crutches." I scooted myself out of the limo and started dragging my leg to the door.

Pete ran out after me and carried me into the hospital instead. What a gentleman. The doctor adjusted a set of crutches and gave them to me.

"Be careful not to drag your leg," He warned. "It could damage the cast."

I nodded at him. No more wheelchair for me! I took off on my crutches, happy to be able to move on my own again.

"Wait up speed demon!" Pete said running after me. I stopped on the curb to wait for him to catch up.

"Race you to the curb." I said with a grin.

"I'd like to see you try." He got into a beginning stance, ready to take off.

"Ready, set, GO!" I screamed. He began to run, unaware I stuck my crutch out in front of his leg. He tripped over it and fell on the ground. I laughed.

"Haha I win." I took off towards the car.

"Not so fast!" He screamed.

He got up and sprinted after me. I couldn't go any faster. He got to me and wrapped both arms around me from behind. I couldn't get out of his grip.

"You think you can get away with this don't you, you little trouble maker. I'll teach you a lesson." He grabbed the crutches and threw them on the ground.

"Hey!" I screamed. He flipped me so I was upside down. He bent down and picked up the crutches with one arm, the other holding onto my legs. "Let me down!" I screamed as he walked towards the limo.

"No way, Jose. You're my prisoner."

When we got to the limo he finally flipped me right side up again. I felt the blood return to my head.

"Dumb ass." I muttered, smiling.

He pushed me into the dark car. He got in and climbed on top of me, straddling my lap. He leaned forward onto me and slammed the door behind him.