Chapter 21: Funk

"Finally!" I rolled my eyes at Liam.

     "It went straight to voicemail, anyway. No celebrating yet." I said, making jazz hands.

     "Guys, go to the auditorium quick. It's an emergency." Rachel told us before running off. We both rushed to the auditorium to see Jesse back with Vocal Adrenaline. 

     After some exchanged words from Jesse and Rachel, Vocal Adrenaline started performing Another One Bites The Dust. I mean, I get why Rachel liked him. He has a great voice, but he is a pain in the ass.

     "It's a Carmel High tradition. They psych out the competition a few weeks before the big show. They call it a "funkification" meaning they show us what they've got and we spiral into a deep, black funk." Artie said as we walked down the hall .

     "Yeah, we used to do the same thing to other football teams." I looked at Finn smiling as I experienced a prank war between him and the other football teams. "Try to get inside their head, pull little pranks to intimidate them."

     "The difference was our football team sucked. Those guys are golden." Puck spoke, but Kurt tried to encourage them.

     "Come on, keep your heads up, guys. It's gonna take more than that to get us into a funk." As we walked in to see the choir room TP'd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

      "Does Sue actually think the choir room will go to her if we lose regionals?" Liam asked me as I was trying to get my stuff out of my locker. I sighed, still putting things in my backpack.

       "Well, she normally gets everything she wants. But I don't know anymore. Sue is like the ruler of the school, but Figgins has the money." He shrugged and leaned against the lockers.

       "Oh, by the way, Finn and Puck slashed the tire on the range rovers of Vocal Adrenaline."

       "Wha-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

      "Sister!" I hear Joshua yell in the hallway, coming towards my room. He didn't bother knocking before trying to walk into a locked door.

     "Dumbass." I shook my head and unlocked the door to see him rubbing his temple. "Yes?"

       "You doing the Funk assignment?"

     "Nope." I stated plainly. "Quinn's got it covered."

      "Oh? I wanted to do something, but if you not then nevermind." And turns around to leave.

      "Y'all teacher, so weird." Julian said, walking to his room with pizza rolls stuffed into his mouth.

      "Can I just be alone in this house?"

       I shut my door and sat on my bed listening to music. Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder came on the radio.

"People keep on learnin'

Soldiers keep on warin'

World keep on turnin'

'Cause it won't be long"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Let me say the starting song of this week wasn't what I expected. Quinn, standing in front of the class with other pregnant women singing, This is a Man's World, was disturbing yet beautiful at the same time.