Chapter 4

When I woke up I went and took a shower, then got dressed. It was a sweats and hoodie kind of day, even though it was hot outside. I slung my hair up into a bun and made my way to the kitchen. Mom was sitting at the table talking on the phone, she smiled at me and pointed to the stove. She had already made me breakfast, I ate and headed to school.

I met Kelly in front of the gym then we made our way to meet Jason. Kelly had been my best friend since 9th grade when we had gym together, ironically we both loved running. It got our minds off of things.

When we neared Jason, I grew nervous. Thinking that maybe he'd found out that Hunter stayed at the hospital with me, but if he didn't say anything about it I wasn't going to. Kelly was talking to me about going to her dad's this weekend but mostly I blocked her out, thinking about other things.

"Jena, I'll catch up with you later, I gotta go talk to Mr. Wilson." Kelly told me when we walked up to Jason.

"Okay, I'll see you third." I called out to her, being she had already began walking away. Jason looked at me and smiled.

"So what did that prick come get you for last night?" He asked as we walked.

"Mom told him to come get me and take me to the hospital, Emma had the baby." I responded.

"I couldn't have taken you?" He asked angrily.

"I don't know, I guess she figured you had things to do or something." I shrugged, I seen Hunter walking down the hall with a smile on his face. That smile instantly reminded me of last night when he was holding Justin.

"What are you looking at?" Jason asked.

"Nothing, I thought I seen Kelly." I lied, I didn't want him to know that I was looking at Hunter.

"Hey Jena." Hunter said as he walked by us. I just smiled and waved.

"What the hell is going on with you two?" Jason asked when we got near the classroom.

"He's a friend of the family. I'm not into him if that's what you're getting at." I confessed. Jason nodded and walked away as the bell rang.

It was Friday night, I was laying in bed sleep was just about to take me over but my bedroom door opened causing me to wake. I couldn't make out who it was standing there, but it was a guy. I was terrified.

"Hey, I hope I didn't wake you." I heard the familiar voice say. It was Hunter, I suddenly felt nervous. Why was he in my house at midnight?

"Oh, you're fine. I wasn't sleeping." I patted on my bed for him to sit.

"You're probably wondering why I'm here this late...um, I have had a bad night and needed to get away and you're the only one I could think of. Your mom told me to come whenever I wanted so I just came." He told me as he sat down beside me. I nodded and turned my lamp on.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Just stuff with my dad, he's nothing but a drunk. That's why we left where we lived and he keeps calling begging me to come home. I miss and love my dad but I'm tired of being a punching bag for him. And watching him hit my mom whenever he's had a bad day." He confessed.

I knew exactly how he felt, you feel like you're trapped in a hole, while someone who doesn't love you takes all their anger out on you. I just nodded, making sure I didn't give my secret away.

"Um, this is kind of awkward. I should go." Hunter told me while getting up.

"No, don't go." I called, he turned around and looked at me, smiling.

I don't know why but I didn't want him to leave. I felt so safe when he was around, even though he didn't know anything about what was going on with me. I felt like he would keep all of the bad things in life away from me.