Ch. 11 Dodgeball

Evelyn and Angela stepped inside the GYM, and they walked towards their PE teacher, Coach Capp.

" Hi, Coach Capp. I would like for you to meet Evelyn Swan. She is one of the new students," Angela kindly introduced Evelyn to Coach Capp.

" Nice to meet you," Evelyn formally speaks.

" Likewise. Follow me, please. I have extra PE uniforms in my office that you can use for this semester," Coach Capp turns around and guides the two females to his office.

Angela stood by the door while Evelyn stepped inside. She looks at her surroundings, noticing that Coach Capp is a big fan of the Los Angeles California Lakers Basketball team and the Washington Commanders Football team.

" Interesting choice of a Basketball team, Coach Capp. I didn't know you like the Lakers," Evelyn stared at a banner of all the star basketball players of the Lakers. " I would have thought you'd be a big fan of the Wizards since you know we are in the Washington state," She turns her gaze to Coach Capp.

Coach Capp grabs the female's PE uniform, turning to Evelyn.

" My sister-in-law is from Los Angeles, Ms. Swan," Coach Capp responded. " I went to one of their games and fell in love with them playing, so you could say Lakers would forever be my team," He gives the PE uniform to Evelyn.

" I am surprised to know that a lady such as yourself knows a thing about sports since girls nowadays care about fashion and books. No offense, Angela," Coach Capp glanced at Angela.

" It's okay," Angela shyly stared at Coach Capp since she isn't a big fan of sports.

" I used to play basketball at my old High School," Evelyn responded.

" You did," Coach Capp looked surprised. " What position did you play?" He asked, looking and sounding curious.

" Point Guard, sir," Evelyn brightly smiled.

Evelyn's gaze softened, recalling her stepfather Phil assisting her Basketball coach when it came to her and her teammates' training. Or when it came to her needing help to throw perfect two-point or three-pointer shots. Even though her stepfather is a minor league Baseball player, he loves to play basketball as a hobby.

" Interesting! This school can't afford a women's basketball team. But, I would love for you to stop by the men's basketball team's practice and show those punks what it means to be a proper basketball player," Coach Clapp widely smiled.

" Coach. The boys would feel humiliated if you bring a girl to their basketball practice and have the said girl show them how to play basketball properly," Evelyn snickered.

" Forks High School Men's Basketball team hasn't won a basketball game ever since your Dad graduated High School. Your Dad was our school's star player. At least, I am delighted to know that his athletic gene got passed down to you," Coach Clapp sighed in relief.

Evelyn looked at Coach Clapp with a surprised expression. She didn't expect her father to be a basketball player.

" My Dad played basketball?" Evelyn asked, looking and sounding in disbelief.

" Yes!" Coach Clapp walks towards his desk and stands near several large portraits of Forks High School's men's basketball team.

" See! This picture got taken in April 1980 when the basketball season was over. Despite being a 9th grader and on Varsity, your father showed impressive basketball skills. He was our Power forward," Coach Clapp points to a fifteen-year-old Charlie Swan.

Evelyn stared at the portrait with a surprised expression. She is amazed to hear and see that her father played basketball in his youth.

" Your father played on Varsity till his senior year," Coach Clapp went to stand by the farthest portrait of the school's basketball team. " Your father got recognized so much for his talent that several Scouters from top universities and even some from the NBA saw him play," He proudly stared at the picture of an eighteen-year-old Charlie.