Chapter 7: Terrifying Truth

//Oof, forgot to note chapter 4 fgfgfg, anyway about the soul tracker book, head canon or fan canon, since the Devil's Auditor Stickler tracks souls that come in or out of hell, I feel that he would track souls on the Earth that don't owe a debt for the Devil which he would easily know who you are, your hopes, dreams, desires, so on and so forth. After all, the Devil is a demon and therefore, our demons would know what we are and our wants.//

You were tossing and turning in your sleep. You were grunting, something was bugging you. You started to dream. It was dark and you were in a house. You watched as a woman holding her baby was running for her life up the spiraling stairs. The baby was crying in fear. "Wait! What is going on! What are you running from?!" You heard a goat noise from a nearby distance. You turned around, backing up. The front door opened slowly, a goat silhouette appearing.

"Me~" The goat talked?! He began to shift into a serpent as he laughed maniacally. You hurried to the stairs but he was too fast. He coiled your every being, keeping you from escaping. "You thought that you could get away from me?!"

"Let go of me! Who are you?!" You groaned in his furry coils of doom! Flames engulfed the place. He didn't respond to your question, rather he was taunting you.

"It's been so long trying to find the last soul of this family and I have FINALLY found you! Your soul is MINE!" He reached for your chest, grabbing your soul but something stopped him from proceeding his goal. A beacon of light shined between you and him. He released you and you immediately ran up the stairs only for the flames to follow you. "Keep running, darling! You are only making it harder for yourself!"

"Leave me alone- woah-woah! Ahhhh!" You were at the edge of your window, losing your balance and falling. You fell down, the ground was dark. Everything was dark. You watched as the house was on fire. Suddenly many arms emerged and grabbed you, pulling you down into an endless, dark abyss. "No! NOOOOOOOO!!"

You were moving violently in your dream, screaming the same last words from your dream. "GO AWAY!!" You woke, breathing heavily. You were breaking in sweat. You heard the door open which made you jump in horror.

"(Y/N), it's me, Ginger. Are you okay?" Ginger came in, concerned for you.

"I'm fine, Ginger. It was a nightmare, that's all."

"(Y/N), these nightmares have been on and off, quite frequent now. I worry for you. Tell me, what did you dream about?" Ginger came up closer to you.

"Ginger, it- I don't know. I just keep having this dream about a woman then this mysterious shadow entity and finally, he showed himself. It was like I was staring face to face with the Devil... He keeps trying to get me and trying to take my soul." You cried in your hands. "What does he want? What did I do?"

Ginger hugged you, petting your head. "You have done nothing wrong. I don't know why he is trying to take you away. He won't." She kissed your head. "As for the woman... Tell me, what did she look like?"

"Her features I just couldn't make out but she was carrying a baby. She was running from that demon. I feel as though I keep seeing her in my dreams, too. Do you know what it means?"

Ginger covered you back up. "I have no idea... Perhaps in the morning, we will discuss that, too. Just get your rest. Think of positive thoughts. Relax your mind into your happy place. Good night." She left the room, shutting the door.

You looked up at the ceiling. "She's right... Just think happy thoughts but how could I even? Who is that lady and what does the Devil want with me?"

You weren't the only one having nightmares. At Elder Kettle's cottage, Cuphead has been having nightmares of the Devil as well. Losing his family. Feeling alone. Everything was hitting him in his dreams.
He was in his bedroom and nobody was around. "What the heck? Is it morning already?" Cuphead got out of bed, walking to his door. Opening it, he saw Mugman. "Mugsy! Good morning! You're up early." Cuphead noticed that something was wrong. He tilted his head, coming up to Mugman. "Hehe, you sure are quiet, pal."