Chapter 21: Plans for two

//I am sorry for the long delay. Between suffering through Covid, helping my family, spending time with my friend who came to visit me, celebrating my birthday, and depression kicked in... I needed to relax a little more. Again, I do have stories that I really want to get out there but I decided that this book and the other needed to be finished. I hope you all enjoy this chapter.//

The elevator came up in front of Mystic's cage. Mystic grabbed the bars, waiting to see who arrived. The doors opened and to her surprised, "Mugman?! Devil, you let him go right now!" She pulled at the bars of the cage.

"It is none of your concern, princess- oh, I forgot, you are part of my plan and so is your new cellmate, my dear!"

"Just take me, Devil! Cuphead-" Mugman was thrown in Mystic's cage.

"Cuphead and (Y/N)'s soul will be mine! If they want their precious friend and brother back, they will give themselves up! Knowing you mortals, they always sacrifice themselves to save another. I am getting tired of the long wait so I will notify the two and the entire city will listen to what I have in store for them!" The Devil cackled, lightning was flashing. "You two enjoy your stay and chat. You won't be leaving until the deal is made! Henchman, let us go."

"You got it, Boss!" Henchman waited for the Devil to get back to the elevator again.

"Oh, I almost forgot. I have been very patient with your answer, my dear Mystic but things changed. It was nice breaking you earlier~" He laughed. The elevator closed and vanished into flames.

"Mystic! Oh, what did the Devil do to ya?! Are ya hurt?!" Mugman was very worried and he was checking her arms and hair.

"No, no, I am very much fine. He is just so cruel from what he told me. It hurt so much! Mugman, we have to get out of here! Poor Elinora can't help us."

"Whose Elinora?"

"She's one of the Devil's minions but she is good."

"His imps! Oh, they are certainly not to be trusted!"

"But she is very sweet! She came up to Earth just to see me and spend time with me. Oh, she was so curious about her surroundings." Mystic sighed happily but then it shifted with a sad tone. "Where is Cuphead and (Y/N)? Are they okay?"

"They escaped with the help of Minty and this roach fella, uh, Louie. I worry about all of them! The city is in danger!"

"We should try to get out of here first... Somehow. I am sure that they will be okay. I know (Y/N) can hold her own but... I don't know if she can fight the Devil."

***

"You got this, Kettle, just gotta ask her out again." Elder Kettle was dressed all fancy for Ginger. He was riding his old, beat up wagon car, heading towards Ginger's house. Arriving, he got out of his car, opening the gate door. "Ginger!" He sang. "I would like to talk to you, dearie."

Ginger heard Elder Kettle outside and peeked from the window. She opened the door and waved to him as she came out. "Kettle, it is nice to see you again. What do you want?"

"I was hoping that you and I could go out again. The other night was fantastic! I know you had fun, too. The smile on your face brightened mine."

"I am happy that it did, you old kettle but I have to decline today."

"Decline? Why?"

Before Ginger could explain her reason, she saw you, Cuphead, Minty, and Louie drawing near the trail. She didn't see Mugman. "Let's just say that today isn't a good day for me. I have been incredibly busy."

"Oh snap! It's Elder Kettle!" Cuphead froze in place, "I can't let him know what happened! Poor Mugman... I hope he escaped, usually he knows what to do."

"Cuphead, the Devil may have him," you said.

"No! I refuse to believe that!"

"Sheesh, talk about being in denial," Louie whispered towards Minty.

"We have to be truthful," Minty ran towards the gate, "Ginger! Ginger!"

"Minty! Oh, thank heavens that you are safe!" Ginger opened the gate and hugged her. "(Y/N)! I am happy to see you as well. Were you able to get anything?"

"Cuphead?" Elder Kettle turned around. "Where have you and- Mugman? Where is your brother?!"

"Uhhhh, he, we were playing in the city but he hasn't showed up?" Cuphead was lying and seeing his sweat protruding down his face, you can pretty much tell. "Don't worry, Elder Kettle, there is nothing to worry about."

"I worry for you two and if something were to happen... I would be devastated. Heartbroken. I know you are lying now, tell me where is he?"

Louie's antennas pointed up. He could feel that something bad was going to happen anytime now. The winds began to brew, the sky was red, and the clouds thickened. The storms were louder than your normal everyday thunder. "I better get outta here," he said to himself as he flew off.

Ginger held you and Minty close to her. "What in tarnation is going on?!" Elder Kettle was getting even more furious. "Cuphead, you have some explaining to do, I know you are behind this!" Elder Kettle poked his cane at Cuphead.

"I am not!" Cuphead backed up. "I swears it!"

"Elder Kettle, darling, Cuphead is not responsible for this at all!" Ginger exclaimed. "This is definitely the Devil's doing! This much power blowing at us all is a big give away!"

"The Devil?! Why would that evil demon be here, invading our peaceful world?!" Again, Elder Kettle was growing suspicious that it was still Cuphead's doing.

"I am happy to provide you with that answer, old soul~" A booming voice answered. The clouds formed into the Devil. "For the record, it is that dreadful CUP's fault, especially abandoning his brother, Mugman. He is in my hands now!" The Devil cackled. "You, (Y/N) and Cuphead have something of great value to me and for that, I have something of great value to you!"

You marched right up and looked up at the cloudy demon. "What do you mean?! Can't you just give it up?! Our souls do not belong to you!"

"You listen here, Old Scratch!" Elder Kettle protectively had Cuphead behind him. "You better give back Mugman! He hasn't done a thing wrong! And as for Cuphead- you aren't having his soul but he will explain himself to me as to why HE OWES YOU HIS SOUL!" And Elder Kettle was steaming, the storms thundered.

"Elder Kettle, please don't get angry! I will tell you!" Cuphead rubbed the back of his head, scared that Elder Kettle would still get angry. "Remember when Mugsy and I had to paint the fence after you fed us breakfast that day?"

"I do, yes and you destroyed that fence!"

"Well, it took us a while because we went to the carnival and... It turned out that the carnival was a scam for the Devil to take everyone's souls. Guess who was the one who lost their soul." Cuphead turned his head away, ashamed with tears pouring down.

Elder Kettle was shocked. The Devil chuckled, "Looks like I didn't have to answer that after all but I will say soul ball was indeed a fun game, you little showoff! Now then, let's cut to the chase here. (Y/N), besides Mugman being imprisoned, your friend Mystic is with him as well."

"Mystic?! Why you! You better let her go! Don't drag her into this!" You screamed at him.

"Your mother did the same with you so it is fair that she gets dragged into your dilemma. Anyway, if you and Cuphead want your friend and brother back, you will give up your souls to me before the stroke of midnight! If you don't then they will not be free and as a bonus- Inkwell Isle will be swamped into chaos! Demons will have their time to shine! I will get what I want and you two will be MINE!!" Everyone in Inkwell heard the warning and began to murmur in fear and panic! You and Cuphead looked at each other. This was a hard decision. "I don't have all day, neither do your friends. It would be ashamed to see something bad happen to them. Farewell." The Devil disappeared but the sky remained red and the clouds were still the same, even the storms continued.