Chapter 10: Returning

As Peter and Elinora were sneaking towards the wall to avoid the gates, they bumped into... The Devil. "Boss! You're here-"

"And where are you two running off to in such a hurry?" He asked.

"We are uhh, uhhh," Peter froze up, anxious to say anything. He was like that with his boss when his sister wanted to do things they really shouldn't be doing.

"My brother was going to take me back, Sir. I fell off a tree and hurt myself. I sprained my leg," Elinora pointed.

The Devil zapped her leg with his pitchfork, healing it. "There, all better. You two resume your duties."

"Our duties are actually done. We found a clue!" Peter said.

"We did? Oh, uh, yeah, we did. Unfortunately, there are no cups around here."

"Drat!" Devil snapped his fingers in disappointment. "Then we should cancel checking this perimeter. Ugh, never going to ask the dead if they have seen two cups scurry around here. They usually love to pull pranks. Anyways, what is the clue that you've found?"

"We saw a girl wandering around here and she is human."

"Oh really? Not too surprised that people in general love to take the path through spooky places like this. What did she look like?"

"She has (Eye Color or E/C, Hair Color or H/C) and she was covered in dirt," Peter scratched his head, trying to remember anything else.

"Is that so? Anything else?" The Devil tapped his foot.

"She was talking to a crow, wasn't she, Peter?" Elinora looked at her brother and he responded with a nod.

"Talking to a bird, eh? Hmmm, she doesn't sound interesting but if I ever cross paths with her, she'll just be like any other soul I am trying to collect. Nothing more, nothing less. I supposed as of now, you are all free to go," Devil tapped his pitchfork and poofed his minions back to Hell.

The minions were back in their boss's domain. Elinora and Peter looked at each other, which Peter wasn't too happy about what his sister wanted to do. "Must I always try to make excuses?"

"Last time I checked, I had to cover for you since you tend to get anxious around our boss!" She turned her head. "I just wanted to go out and see the city."

"As much as it's tempting, I wouldn't try. Devil usually keeps us here and he will know if we left. His Henchman usually takes note of what we do. We have a job and we must abide by the rules. I hate to repeat myself."

Elinora hmph at her brother. "I get it, I get it. But-"

"No buts!" Peter snapped. "We should check the Wrath Department or you could take a shift there and I will take a shift at the Sloth Department. It is quite easy to patrol the world there." Elinora stuck her nose in the air. Peter sighed. "I will give you 5 minutes to decide. We shouldn't keep our boss's waiting." Peter headed to the Wrath room.

"... Somehow, I will find a way back up there. That girl seemed like she could be interesting to talk to. I bet if I talked to one person, they would show me around." That's what Elinora was planning to do but the question is how will she plan her way to the surface?"Good, good. I bet my little imp, Elinora is performing fantastically up there. I gave her the opportunity to mess with the residents of Inkwell while also finding this "Special" soul that she was talking about."

"Yeah, hehehe, eh, er, Boss, do you I am wondering who this soul is?" Henchman shrugged in confusion. "Did she ever tell you who that soul was?"

"No, I don't believe she has, why, is there something wrong?"

"What? Nah, there is no problem here, boss. I was just curious."

Devil tapped his chin before wiping his mouth from the wine sauce. "Now that you mention it, yeah, we don't know who this soul is. I wonder- Henchman, you said there is no problem, right?" Henchman responded with a nod. "You're my loyal servant, you should tell me what's going on around here."

"Of course! I always do-"

"The truth, Henchman. Don't shy away from it. You know that gets me very steamed..."

Henchman wanted to pretend that he didn't know about anything just like he said to Peter but he couldn't lie towards his boss. He sighed in defeat, "So far, no leads but we could maybe go see Stickler about that soul."

"Hm, okay then now there is something off that I am feeling from you also that you aren't telling me. Spill it!"

"... Peter decided to look for Elinora up there to help her?"

Devil paused and blinked. "Peter left his job just to search for his imp sister and help her? And he didn't get permission from me..." The Devil drummed the arm of his throne. He was content for a moment as Henchman thought. Suddenly, his boss's food burst into flames. "HE DITCHED HIS DUTIES?! Why did I even let her go up there? Oh right, she wanted to deliver this soul to me! Well then, we shall go see Stickler about this!" The Devil tapped the ground again, poofing Henchman and himself to Stickler's office.

"Ah, Mr. S, it's so nice to see you. Don't you worry, I am almost done filling out the souls that were written in this book... The one that you burned a hole in!" Stickler flipped a page, mumbling. "What do you want if I may ask?"

"I am here to ask from you, what was the soul that Elinora was searching for?"

"Elinora was searching for Mystic Giddens." Stickler gestured to the demon to show the book that all the souls that they keep track of, to the Devil. They were on Mystic's page. "This is her. There is no point in tackling this soul. Elinora should have picked someone else."

The Devil looked before projecting an image of Mystic. "Oh, this is a joke. I can sense- ugh! Good energy from this creature! A nature spirit! No wonder! Elinora wants to corrupt her? Hm, a game that could be challenging. Does she owe a debt? How is she in this book?"

"She does not. This book tracks the souls that are born on Earth and do not owe a debt. It is off limits. Only you and my demon workers are allowed to check it."

"Yet, you let Elinora look into it!" The Devil leaned down at him.

"Correction, I pointed her out for the imp."

"I wonder what Elinora is doing with her right now? Peter is apparently trying to help her corrupt Mystic. This will be a treat however, if he returns he will get a proper punishment... I'll be off." The Devil walked out of Stickler's office.

***

Louie had just fallen asleep after spending time with Berry. He was beat. Berry was in her hammock, looking up at the sky. She kept thinking about going home. Maybe Ginger would be happy. Berry sat up and looked at Louie. She quietly snuck away from him before darting off to find Ginger's house. It wasn't too far. It was dark by the time she arrived. Coming up to the door, Berry knocked on it. No one answered. Opening the door quietly, it was dark. She turned on the light, "Ginger! I'm home! It's me, Berry Mint! Minty! Hello-" She heard a gasp behind her. Turning around slowly, she saw Ginger. Ginger put her hands to her mouth, her eyes watering.

"Minty... Is that really you?" She asked. Ginger came up to her closely, her hands holding her face. It was her. Ginger embraced Berry with a hug. "It's been forever! Berry, what happened?"

Berry took in the hug, crying on Ginger's shoulder. "I thought that I was not wanted anymore! I thought that (Y/N) was more important." Berry sobbed before pulling away, wiping her tears.

"No, no you two are the most important to me. You are family! Never think less of yourself. Maybe I was a bit distant towards you and protective with (Y/N). There was a promise I had to keep and I stuck to it for an old friend..." Ginger took a handkerchief and dried Berry's tears. "You're home and I am relieved. Did you see (Y/N)?"

Berry nodded, "She is with Cuphead and Mugman."

"At least she is with friends that will stay by her. That reminds me, I must do something for (Y/N). Berry, how would you like to help me perform magic?" Ginger put her hand out.

Berry's eyes widened, her cheeks glowed happily. She was surprised by the offer. Looking down at Ginger's hand, she took it. "I can't wait to help! I missed you, Ginger."