Chapter 15: A Trashed Memory

Half the day, Mystic and Elinora were enjoying themselves. It was getting late, almost in the evening. The two ate ice cream on a bench together. "I really had fun today, Mystic. This beats the Underworld. Hell- eh, hehe, can sure be scary." Elinora was nibbling her ice cream cone.

"I had fun, too," Mystic giggled. "Your nose, you have ice cream on it." She sighed happily, looking at the sun setting down. "It is getting late. We could always stay out a little longer if you like. The night feels very peaceful around then."

The Devil, Henchman, and Peter were watching Mystic and Elinora through a magical projector made by the Devil himself. He was angry, his sharp rows of teeth showing. Henchman and Peter were worried. "I still can't believe an Imp... Would befriend such a- GOODIE TWO SHOES!!" He shouted. "It's eye grating! Maybe your sister does deserve what's coming to her unless you have an idea, Peter?" He asked the little demon, staring down at him menacingly.

Peter's sweat drops spouted as he panicked. "Please, Boss! Wait! There must be something that we could do to- m-make the punishment less painful?!" He flinched.

The Devil rubbed his chin, thinking. "What do you even suggest?"

"..." Peter didn't know what to suggest. He hated to betray his own sister but he also hated to defy his boss. He had to think quickly. "Why not j-just rain on their parade?" He flinched again, he was very frightened of his boss's reaction.

The Devil looked at the projector and at Peter. A light bulb appeared above his head as he let out an evil chuckle. "That is an excellent plan. I think I know how to rain on their parade and maybe that princess could help me with what I want~" He twirled his pitchfork and said, "Black clouds form, lightning and winds plunder. Make rain fall with everlasting thunder!"

Clouds formed rapidly, darkness was in the atmosphere. Loud booms hit the skies and rain began to pour on the folks in the fair. It was windy and the carnies even shut their business down for the day. Mystic and Elinora got up from the bench, Mystic's dress waved in the wind. "Golly! I didn't know we would have a stormy day. You know how night time is. It could sometimes get dampy. We should head home." Mystic took Elinora's hand and guided her out of the fair.

"Strange," Elinora whispered. She had some hunch that the weather wasn't normal. The sky wasn't like normal darkness. Though it was already hitting the evening, the glimpse of it reminded her of how... Her eyes widened. What if her boss knew where she was and what she had been doing?! She had to remain calm.

***

"Are we almost there?" Cuphead whined. "My feet are killing me!"
"Same here. I love an adventure here with you guys but this has been a long walk. Are you sure that we have been following the right direction to the house?" Mugman had to take a breather.

"I feel as though we are there. Maybe-" You were cut off by a sudden lightning in the sky. Rain poured on you three.

"I am not always the one complaining here but we are getting all wet out here! We need to find shelter fast!" Cuphead walked off.
"Cup! Wait up!" Mugman followed his brother.

"Guys! Can't you just stay with me so we don't get lost?!" You sighed with annoyance in your tone. You took off to stay by their side. As soon as you made it through the thick grass, you gazed at the abandoned home. Cuphead and Mugman went up to the fence only for it to break. "Cuphead, Mugman, learn to wait." The storm boomed and it was louder than before. You held their hands. "I know you guys aren't kids who need to have their hands held but I care about you and Elder Kettle's feelings. Come," you went up to the house and went inside. Rats squealed and bats flew at you three. You all screamed at the creatures coming at you.

"Sorry about that, (Y/N)." Mugman felt bad. "Jeez, it sure is dark in this old place. Feels like the mausoleum all over again, right Cuphead?"
"You said it, pal- eeeew, it smells like old ham and carrots in here!" Cuphead found a candle and lit it. Finding the smell... He gagged. "BLEH! What happened here?! I don't think you want to be near that area." Cuphead ran up to you and Mugman.

"I don't even want to stand a minute here!" Mugman shook.

You were looking through the drawers. You looked up at the shelves and saw antiques above you. A picture was displayed. You went up to it and pulled it out of the shelf. "That must be mom," you said to yourself. "Mom, what went wrong?"

Cuphead and Mugman were looking around. Mugman noticed on the ground paw prints. "Hmmm, uh, (Y/N), you should come here. I think I've found a clue. I bet I know who the culprit to your mother's disappearance is." He pointed as Cuphead moved the candle to that area. He gasped as you did the same. You walked up to the paw prints now. They were leading everywhere around the house. "The Devil!"
"For a second, I thought of a bear but what if the Devil WAS a BEAR?!" Cuphead gasped again.
"Remember, he could shapeshift into anything! We need to be well alerted to his trickery!"
"You're right, Mugman... Or-" Cuphead squinted, looking at Mugman in suspicion.
"Or?"
"Or should I say- THE DEVIL!"
"Cuphead, the Devil ran off hours ago. We have been with each other the whole time." Mugman was not amused.

"Cuphead! Mugman! Let's not play games. Look! The paw prints are not foot prints. They are leading to the stairs. Let's follow them." You and the boys headed up the stairs, the candle's flame brightened the hallway. Doors laid there broked and the pictures on the wall were either tilted or glass was laid on the ground. One room looked as though it was burnt and trashed. You, Cuphead, and Mugman poke your heads inside. "This must have been my bedroom when I was a baby," you said. The three of you went inside, looking for more clues.

"That overgrown cat did a number on your belongings and this house," Cuphead tripped only for you to catch the candle and him. "Hehehe, sorry about that. What a mess."

"Let's not have this place burst into flames than it already has."

"Hey, check this out! It looks like uhhh, what do you call that?" Mugman pointed at the table.

"Hmmm, it looks like an altar, like a protection and prayer space. Moira, my mother, was a witch. Hm?" You took a silver charm from the altar. "I wonder... I bet this is all we need to return back to Ginger. She knows more about this witchcraft stuff."

"It's coming down hard though. We could perhaps rest until morning," Mugman suggested. "Don't worry, (Y/N). Sure, we didn't find much but a few clues but it doesn't mean that we will give up hope."
"Mugsy is right. We are by your side through thick and thin!" Cuphead joined in, giving you the confidence boost.

You smiled, agreeing, "Yeah, you're right. Hate to get soaked out there and shocked..." You had chills up your spine from the thought of it. This whole experience was already giving you chills. Cuphead and Mugman found a room with a bed in it. You followed them and placed the candle down. They hopped on the bed, laying down as you crawled on the bed and laid by them. "What a day." You yawned.