11. Darling, don't be afraid

"I don't know why I agreed to this," Misha grumbled in the backseat while Dima was driving them. The younger brother looked at them in the review mirror and smiled. "I hold you partly responsible if it turns out to be horrible," Misha decided to add.

"Ivo only wants to make you happy," Dima reassured him, "It will be fun, you'll see."

Misha still eyed his little brother suspiciously, he felt foolish: there he sat, dressed in a neat dress shirt, a tie on his neck. He hated ties. He hadn't agreed to wear a suit and like his partner, he had chosen neat jeans. Ivo had invited Dima to arrive earlier and then suggested that the three of them take a ride together. Misha had argued at first, naturally, the true reason for this mindless driving had to do with something ridiculous that his brother had organized.

"I can't wait for this day to be over," Misha sighed and felt Joni's hand searching his own, they looked at one another and the younger man grinned.

"I'm sure we'll have a great time, just relax," Joni encouraged him. He then glanced at his friend who seemed like his usual cheerful self and hadn't mentioned Eva so far.

Dima sighed and parked his car. "Alright, let's go out to have drinks," he said and got out.  "And you could stop moaning, Misha. Of course, it is terrible that your two brothers try to arrange a nice engagement party for you and your partner, surely we are the most horrible brothers a man could have." He snorted sarcastically to Misha who got out of the car as well. Joni smiled at his friend, he was right to criticize Misha, who at least had the decency to look guilty now.

They walked to a terrace of a cozy seaside restaurant and Dima ordered them both beers, settling for lemonade himself. The day was beautiful and warm, Ivo couldn't have succeeded better in his choice of the day weather-wise. Misha looked at the scenery around them while sipping his beer slowly. "Alright, I will do my best to relax," he finally sighed, took Joni's hand, and gave his brother an apologetic look. "You know that I don't enjoy being the center of attention."

"Luckily Joni can enjoy that for the both of you," Dima joked looking at his friend who snorted at first but then smiled. "Oh don't even try to tell me that you won't enjoy being the center of attention at a party!" Dima chuckled and took the straw in his drink between his lips. Joni shrugged.

"Depends on the party," The dark-haired man smiled, "I hope that I can enjoy myself tonight, as long as you haven't arranged anything embarrassing."

"Embarrassing? Us? Now, why would we do that?" Dima grinned.

"That grin concerns me," Misha said, looking at his kid brother doubtfully and Dima laughed.

"Just let it go, Misha."

After they had finished their drinks, Dima checked the time and announced that they could return home.

Misha sighed upon seeing the cars parked on the side of the street by their house and although the day was especially warm, the yard seemed unusually quiet. There was a pink cardboard heart attached to the front door which had their names written in its center. Misha glanced at Joni, shaking his head. "Can't we just turn back? Let's just run away somewhere?" Joni grinned and before he had time to say anything, Dima lowered his hands on both of their backs.

"Alright, be brave now, it will only sting once," Dima encouraged them and Joni opened the door, the house was eerily quiet. Joni glanced at his fiancé, smiled, and touched his shoulder, amused by his almost pained expression.

"Is he trying to surprise us?" Misha muttered, "He could have just arranged a surprise party altogether, this is ridiculous," he continued to complain quietly. "We already know that the guests are here."