III

I wake up with beams of light spread across my room peering through the gaps of the curtains, yet opening the windows im greeted with a heavy downpour trickling down the window making a relaxing and satisfying sound. I sigh deeply and exhale against the window leaving a misty residue on the cold glass. I think back to yesterday, the boy. I recognised him somehow, I felt like I knew him?  Turning around, i see mum hanging around the door frame

‘Savannah, why didn’t you let me know you were in? I thought you were still out and kept sending you messages until i heard your phone go off in here’.

‘Sorry, i didn’t want to interrupt you all and i thought you’d be angry’. She slightly smiles and walks towards me holding her arms out like she’s asking to hug me. I comply and walk into her arms, hugging her tightly.

 ‘Love you Savannah’. I her away from me at arm’s length and tilt my head to the side slightly trying to show my confusion.

‘are you okay mum?’ i laugh. After showing her out my room, i slide on my running gear and decide to go on a run. I love running, i mean i hate it but i love being outside in the rain, i think it’s the loneliness. I mean i don’t like to be lonely or to feel that way but i like to be alone, damn it that’s so bad. I mean my only true friend i have is Ash and she feels like a million miles away. I step out into the cool rain letting it smother on my skin relaxing me in every way and touching every nerve ending in my body making me sharply inhale adjusting to the cold atmosphere. Headphones in, world off. I don’t even know why i felt like a run, who are we kidding i can’t run for my life, but just being by the coast makes me feel better than okay. It makes me feel happy. I stand there and look up at the sky as the rain pours on my face, deeply inhaling. Im immediately interrupted when i look back down to see him. Right there, in front of me, shit!

‘May I ask why you’re just stood staring up at the sky in the middle of the pouring rain?’ He smirks.

 His dark blonde hair flops in front of his face dripping with rain, oh my, help me. He shows a wide grin, and after what feels like an hour of staring, i break out of the trance.

 ‘Um... i...’

‘Here, come’ he says, directing me towards the Watershed Cafe opposite the sea front. We slide into a booth soaked in rain shivering while sipping a skinny latte. I can’t help but take my eyes off his, dark and grey, full of mystery.

‘so you’re from around here?’  i ask with my face in my drink. He subtly bites his lip and looks down.

‘Im about as ‘from around here’ as you are’ he grins. ‘I’m originally from Phoenix’ I was originally born in England but since my parents got a better job offer over here, we moved when i was 10. Probably the best decision I’ve ever made.. Even though it wasn’t me making the decision. Since i moved though nobody really liked me, i mean by the time you’re 10 you have enough brain cells to know who you like and who you don’t, just so happens everyone decided I didn’t float their boat. Hang on, im sat in a cafe with a person i met last night under the pier, who even is he?

‘Wait, i don’t even know your name’ i splurt in the moment.

 ‘Nathan. Nathan Walker’ he states.

 ‘Savannah. Savannah Hyde’ i sarcastically reply.

 He subtly laughs and drinks his coffee. I mean it’s so weird, if i were sat here with anyone else and there was no conversation, I’d be freaking out. I cant do it, every scrap of social skills I’ve ever learnt suddenly crumbles beneath me leaving me speechless and wanting to go home quite frankly. But this... this is different, I feel a certain harmony and satisfaction even when were not speak. Occasionally, i look up and he’s already staring back at me, i wish i knew what he was thinking.