XV

We arrive at the milkshake bar which gives off white light from the flashing sign, showing the words 'Jay's Milkshake Bar' aka the best milkshake bar in town, think of any flavour, put it in a milkshake, and somehow it will work.

We walk into what feels like a parallel world, kids and families laughing, music playing and 'dudes' and 'dudettes' rolling around on roller-skates, it feels like im a kid again!

I hastily walk up to the desk, like an alien not aware of this weird system.

'What can I get'cha?' A young women bubbly asks. I show a ghost of a smile and look up at the never-ending list of milkshakes, she smiles and asks 'first time?'. I laugh slightly and look back down at her.

'No, my dad used to always order but it seems I should now' I pause for a second. 'Ill have a large Reece's cups please' as I slide over $3 on the counter. She smiles and passes me a slip saying order #23 and i hurry back to Cam and Dad.

'Where's the bf then?' Cam says seemed genuinely interested.

'At home I presume'. Why does he care?

'Oh because he just uploaded on Instagram with Jonah'

'He has Instagram?'

'Yeah, @walkingnathan' He pauses. 'Wait, you didn't even know he has Instagram'

'I do have better things to do with my life you know' i snap while slurping on my milkshake as Dad comes back with a handful of them.

I peer under the table and slip out my phone and go on Instagram and type in the search bar '@walkingnathan'. I click on one which looks like him in the profile picture along with two other people and scroll to see a few pictures, one of me and Kirsten led in the middle of the floor, one of me on the beach and a new one, a picture of Jonah on the edge of a building, why is he on the top of a building? I start to panic and my hands go sweaty, oh no. Not here, please!

'Erm dad, I'm going to the toilet, Be right back' I whisper before clumsily making my way to the toilets. I stare at Nate's number on my phone and go to text him, but accidently ring him. Who cares? The phone rings 3 — 4 times before he picks up.

'Hello?' his voice sounds husky and warm, I'm instantly relieved and all my nerves begin to find feeling again.

'Nate, where are you?' I ask, whispering.

'On 6th street with Jonah. Sav, what is it, what's wrong? I'm coming to get you' He says, worried.

'No, its nothing, I just feel really... I don't know, im just' my mind goes dizzy and I take a seat on the toilet, trying to rebalance myself.

'Sav where are you?' He asks. 'Sav where the fuck are you!?' He shouts down the phone.

'Jay's milkshake bar'

I hear Jonah in the background say 'i know where that is' and then Nate mutters something back and all background noise stops, Jonah must have left.

The feeling grows inside me, compressing my body and heating it up, making me feel powerless and weak, what is this?

' Sav, come out the front. Now.' It sounds more like a command than a suggestion. I stumble up and text Dad.

Hey Dad, felt ill so I thought I'd go for a walk

I don't even have the strength to finish the message, its okay, he gets the point.

I rush into the cold crisp night air and hold on to a lamppost giving me support for my heavy breathing.

I hear schreeching round the corner then a dark pick up appears, and slams on the brakes near me. I see Nate run out the car and slowly everything goes black.