XXII

The seconds turn to minutes, the minutes turn to hours and my feet begin to slightly drag as I turn the same corner I've passed 4 times already. It's not that I don't know where he was, more the fact I don't know what to say. One problem solved just creates an even bigger one; how could I say sorry if it wasn't me, how could I comfort him knowing it was doing nothing, I was powerless but one thing I know is that he needs a shoulder to rest on.

I begin to stop my frantic pacing and head towards the benches on the far side of the field knowing that's exactly where Nate will be.

As I get closer, the whole image becomes clear. He's slumped with his head in his hands, staring at the blades of grass left under his feet. I slowly walked over to where he is slumping, trying not to interrupt his thoughts.

I looked down at my feet nervously trying to form what I would say. I kicked a stone, watching it roll a few feet ahead of me before I catch it back up.

I stand in front of him, just far enough forward so he could see my feet without moving his head. He sighed heavily and blew out, causing a waft of smoke to release around him. The air was filled with the stench of drugs; I bought my hand over my mouth letting the smoke drift past me before I adjusted to the new air.

I really did hate it when he would do something like this, drugs just wasn't a street I was willing to go down, and it's sad knowing he's already down that metaphorical road.

He looked up with the roll up lightly placed between his lips, once he caught on to my response to his action, he stubbed the end on the bench and dropped the remains on the floor beside his foot.

I struggled with words for a second and then instantly relaxed realising it was only Nate. This was the only person I ever trusted, I could tell him anything. It was only Nathan.

'It's weird to think the last time we were sat here I slapped you' I laughed lightly, he looked up with the complete different expression on his face, for me to instantly mimic his, wiping the slight smile off my face.

After a moment of silence, I perch on the bench with him, interlocking my arm with his.

Why would some sick ass hole write something like that? More the point, who? I knew nobody in our college who would want to write something so harmful, it just didn't add up.

I squeezed slightly harder on his arm and he instantly whips out of my grip completely, standing up.

'Don't' He yells. My whole body washes with hurt and my eyes begin to well up. 'Just don't fucking try and make this okay'

'Nate —'

'Just stop. I can't — I just cant... Do this' He says waving around his hands like 'this' is an actual object. He turns his back abruptly and lashes on his bag before trudging towards the exit.

I sit defeated on the bench, with tears streaming down my eyes. The world feels as if it's pulling me deeper and deeper into the vortex of all things bad, nothing will ever get resolved. I can't let it defeat me, I need to fight and I need to be strong.

I roughly wipe away my tears and pick up my bag, walking to the cafeteria.

'SAVANNAH BANANA' Sam called over the crowd, not caring particularly if anyone cared. I completely forgot about Sam, Erin's boyfriend. They had been galavanting around being an all new couple, that they had'nt been sat with us for a while.

'Sam, nice to see you again after so long' I say formally.

'It's been a week' He clarifies.

He has definitely changed, he now wears glasses, the typical nerdy ones yet somehow he pulls them off. He still wears the same black and white baseball t shirt with black jeans and black and white old skools, but his face. His face looks fuller, livelier.