11 - A Distant Memory

----◦•◦❀•◦----------------------------------------------------------◦•❀◦•◦----

The distant memory of laughter in the air was faint. Meteor City brought that same familiar smell. The scent of a girl he made a promise to. She smelled like roses. However, he never truly got to fulfill his promise since he hadn't heard from her ever since that day. It took years of searching to realize that she was truly gone. Until... a parallel girl appeared. She resembled that of her but she was much brighter. 

It was pure luck that brought them together, not the carefree attitude of playing with each other. He had been more composed, the world wasn't as beautiful as he sought it out to be. That promise he made. It would be fulfilled but to someone else. That parallel girl... 𝓗𝓲𝓼 𝓕𝓵𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻

----◦•◦❀•◦-------------------------------------

" Kuroro! Kuroro! " The blackette called out. The boy giggled as he hid between an old door and a fridge. She ran over to him. " Hehe! I found youuu " She said. " Awe. " He said. He crawled out from his hiding spot. " Good job! " He praised. She smiled. " Kuroro. I wish there were more kids to play with us... " She said a little saddened. " Don't be sad Sayoka. How about I make a promise to you? " He asked. 

She put a finger to her small lip, tilting her head. " A promise? " She asked. " He nodded. " Stay here. " He said. " I'll be quick! " He ran over to a book he left in a broken microwave. He grabbed it and ran back towards her waving it in the air. " Sayoka! " He called. She turned her head towards him. " This book can tell you all about the world. I want to travel somewhere and start anew. " He explained. 

" I would like to give you everything in the world " Kuroro stated. Sayoka's eyes glistened. " I would like that! " She exclaimed while jumping in place. He held out his pinky. She stopped jumping and did too. They pinky swore to fulfill the promise. " Sayoka... " He said. He grabbed her hand and walked up to the hill of junk beside them. 

Looking at the shining sky once he reached the top. She looked up at him. He looked down at her then back at the sky. " The world will know our names. " He said. Closing his eyes, letting go of her hand and spreading his arms out. He lowered his arms, opening his eyes and looking at her. " That is my promise to you. Rose. " He said. 

----◦•◦❀•◦----------------------------------------------------------◦•❀◦•◦----

It had been days, weeks, months, and maybe even years since her disappearance. Kuroro searched the junkyard times and times over. Hoping to find his Rose. Alas, all hope was lost after a couple of years passed. He had been 20 years old. Meeting people in Meteor City along the way. Promising them a better life, even if he couldn't save her. He could have her memory live on. Sayoka wouldn't be forgotten. He had formed a small group of people. 

Friends perhaps. Or tools. He planned to make them a part of his new identity once he got out of this dreadful place. The group was waiting for him at their usual spot. Beside the hill of junk, where he made his promise all those years ago. He walked through the rubble until the sounds of sorrow stopped him. Crying, that's what he heard. He took a turn walking towards the sound. In a corner sat a huddled-up girl.

 Her white hair had been bright even in such a dimmed environment. Her cries stopped as she heard the sound of steady breathing. She turned her face towards it. He watched as she looked at him, it was a look worthy of pity. There was an intense glow coming from her eyes. She flinched then put her arms in front of her body protectively. 

" I'm not here to bring you harm. Come with me, I can lead you to a brighter future. To a painless world, where there is none that can bring you harm. " He said, crouching down in front of her. " You've been hurt many times it seems. Putting your trust in me will be nothing but difficult. Let me help you. I'll ease your sorrows... " He said softly. She sniffled. He held a hand out towards her. 

She cautiously put her hand in his. He stood up and she did the same. She felt that he truly had good intentions, there was no malice in his tone, not even a drop of it. He genuinely wanted to help... but what would she have to do in return? They walked through the rubble. She had no shoes on. The destroyed concrete and pieces of wood would hurt her feet. She winced, it was hard to endure. 

Her pain tolerance was almost non-existent. He turned his head back at her, they were right under the sun where he noticed the state of her legs and feet. He let go of her hand kneeling down in front of her. " Come. Get on my back, I'll escort you this way. " He said. She walked forward, into him not realizing it. She put her hands over her face and shook her head. He turned around stood up and pulled a hand away from her face. 

He waved his hand in front of her face. There was no reaction. He realized that she was blind. " I apologize. " He said. She tilted her head. It was the same way Sayoka did. There was a sense of regret in his eyes. He kneeled down again turning around and having her in a piggyback ride position. He then started his way towards the meeting spot. " Do you have a name? " He asked her. She nodded then shook her head. 

Confusion was clear in his face. She didn't speak and she was blind. This was sure to be interesting. 

----◦•◦❀•◦----------------------------------------------------------◦•❀◦•◦----