Part 8

Part 8:

Churni was quiet a sunny girl unlike her brother who only cared about the ranks. Yes!!! I liked my sister-in-law. She is kind of sweet and soon became friends with Raya. That 'kalratri' was really awesome for me. Again after 3 long years I had that hostel feeling where me and Madhu used to chat almost whole night. Churni being frank about herself told me that Mayukh was against her journalism, he wanted her to be a engineer. They were best friends earlier but after she joined journalism 5 years back, her super intelligent brother had stopped talking to her. How very idiotic..!!! I felt disgusted..!!!! soon our topic drifted and our chat continued.

——-

"aahhhhh"... I yawned wide stretching my hands farthest , but eyes caught him sitting opposite and I sat jerking up, pulling sheet closer. "Good morning Mrs.  Mayukh Roy", he smiled. What the hell was he doing here?? What if anyone sees him here?? Ughhh...!!!! "morning" I made a irritated face and showed him the exit. But that devil had some other plans... "you have an hour to get ready. Remember you are 'The Mauykh Roy's wife." He winked pecking my cheek and left. And again I cursed him.

——-

 The morning rituals completed peacefully as I was always sticking around the elders so that, that chimpanzee would stay away from me. And I was successful. He dared not to do anything. Soon evening crept. And again I was dolled up in banarasi saree and jewelleries and make up. I don't know how I looked, but everyone praised. But what amazed me was Mayukh's behaviour. I saw pride in his eyes, his voice. The way he introduced me to his colleague who flew all the way from Bangalore just to attend our reception. Yes.. Mayukh was posted to Bangalore, and after a week or two he would fly back and I would be staying here with my in-laws. The best part of my marriage.!!! Yippiee...!!! okay it was completely my decision. Mayukh's eyes were telling a complete different story then. He held me as if really I was his  prized possession.

Mom-dad and my other relatives they came pretty late. I felt like seeing them after ages. And I was actually fighting with my tears when they left.

——-

Finally it was my golden night.... the night I feared the most; the night about which I never gave any thought cause I was too scared to think about it. Churni and some other cousins of his, left me in his room wishing all luck. The more they wished the more I was scared. Well I have never been much close to anyone and I really could not read Mayukh's mind, for he has been surprising me since the morning.

He was fidgeting over the phone leaning on back, when I got changed and was back to room. He looked at me and suddenly burst into laughter..!! "what's so funny???" I demanded... "look at yourself Hiyu.." he couldn't stop laughing... "shorts and sweatshirts are okay... but socks..!!!! really..." yah.. I did put on socks.... for I felt my feet cold..and could not catch up sleep unless they were warm enough. That night I was too tired and too upset  to answer him back, I simply stated the fact and he kept looking at me with amused eyes. Okay.. its a odd problem, so what???  I shrugged and unrolled the carpet. His smile disappeared. "What exactly are you doing now?? I love to watch dances.. but believe me, I am hell tired. You can entertain me with your dancing skills tomorrow" he chipped. And I got shocked by his words. Jerk. "sorry.. if you were expecting any performances." I spat, my eyes were burning. What the hell did he think of me..!!! tears were about to bounce. I quickly grabbed a sheet and spread it on the carpet. Took my pillow and lied down. To hell with him. "turn off the light if you are done with your cheap joke" my voice choked. He hasn't changed, even a bit.!! In all these 3 years. He switched off the light and I let my tears flow.

I was stirring continuously due to my cold feet when I suddenly felt my socks curling down. I flinched.. "Mayukh..!!!!" I almost shrieked. "shh..." he was rubbing my feet with his palms continuously. "what the hell are you doing???" I yelled. By now I was accustomed to the darkness of the room. The moonlight shone brightly on his face. He was quiet. I pulled back my legs. He looked at me, and I was awestruck. His eyes were moist..!!! He again grabbed my feet, "I promised my father-in-law that I will take care of his daughter... so let me do my work" his firm voice came, as his firm grip on my feet tightened. I didn't feel like talking more, for who knew he would again say something offensive and this time I may not be able to hide my tears from him.

My feet were enough warm by now, and as a result I was getting drowsy. I was almost in sleep when I felt his lips on my cheek, "sorry" he husked and covered us with a thin quilt. I turned to him, "why do you always do this with me??". But  "good night Hiyu..." he hugged. I didn't hug back nor did I broke it off.. I felt something different!! The change was peaceful..!!!!