The Two of Us

Hello, my lovely friends! I'm back with another period piece oneshot for you guys since the last one did so well and y'all seemed to love it! This is based on 3x09 and what happens leading up to Emily and Sue lying down in the bed together.

The day had been very long—Austin decided to invite quite the handful of guests over so they could all say goodbye to George before he went off to fight in the war. It had been a long day full of partying, drinking, and catching up with old friends. Aside from that, though, it had been quite the day for both Emily and Sue.

Flirtation had been spewing between the girls all day. Since their little conversation they had prior to the party, it had been nonstop between them. They were being clingy, stealing glances, and staring at each other longingly all day. Emily told Sue that she wanted alone time with her this evening and the anticipation of what was going to happen between them had been consuming Sue all day. She so desperately longed for Emily and she was truly beginning to think that Emily was starting to lose feelings for her after they had a lot of built up tension since the baby came.

But this conversation earlier was different—Emily was being touchy, flirty, and even risky—kissing Sue's neck while the guests partied in the room over. If it weren't for Sue reminding her that about the other people, she thinks Emily would have continued right then and there.

Sue had finally finished cleaning the house after the guests left a little more than an hour prior. She put the duster down in the bucket it belonged in and sighed—relieved that the cleaning was all done, and the guests had all finally made their way out. She brushed down on her dress with her hands before walking upstairs and into the bedroom where Austin and the baby were.

"Hey..." Sue started; tiredness clear in her tone. "Do you think you can put Ned to bed in your room this evening? Emily's coming over to, uh, discuss some of her poetry with me and it may be a while and I'm already so tired."

Sue and Austin had still been sleeping in separate rooms—he was in the one upstairs while Sue stayed in the room downstairs and there was no sign of that changing anytime soon. Or at all, really.

Austin nodded, bouncing Ned in his arms with a smile on his face as he looked at his son, "Yeah, of course I can."

Sue smiled at him and nodded, "Thank you." She said softly. She was about to say something else but then a knock coming from the door disrupted her thoughts. "Oh, that must be her."

Austin nodded and continued to bounce Ned as Sue made her way out of the room, shutting the door behind her. She descended the stairs and went to the front door and opened it. There Emily was on the outside—so breathtakingly beautiful as always. Sue was so in love with her and she had been for so long. Emily was everything that she wanted—all she wanted.

"Emily." Sue said sweetly, leaning on the door slightly. "Please—come in." She gestured, waving Emily in.

Emily walked in past Sue and Sue shut the door. Emily turned to look at her and smiled.

"Where's my brother?" She asked, looking around to make sure he was nowhere in sight.

"He's upstairs with the baby." Sue replied, stepping closer to Emily.

A small smirk crept up on Emily's face as she stepped in even closer to Sue, putting her hands on her waist.

"Good." She started, inhaling sharply before she continued, "You know what I meant when I said I wanted some time alone with you, right?" Emily whispered, squeezing her waist as she pulled her in even closer.

Sue nodded, biting her lip as she glanced up the staircase and then back at Emily. She ran her hands over Emily's arms and continued in a low voice, "I think I have an idea."