Netflix & Chill

Friday evening had finally come, and Emily was wrapping up at work at the publishing office. The week had been very long and quite frankly, she was incredibly exhausted. She was supposed to meet up with a group of friends at the bar after work but had decided against it earlier in the day. She just wanted to go home to her apartment, throw on some comfy clothes, drink a little bit of wine and throw on a movie or two.

Working in a salaried career fresh out of college was both rewarding and difficult—but most of Emily's friends were doing that now. She felt bad about bailing on her friends, but she really wasn't up for a rowdy evening tonight. Emily packed up her backpack and made her way out of the building to start her weekend—saying goodbye to her colleagues on the way out.

She started her fifteen-minute walk home and made her way down Congress St. in Boston. It was a warm spring evening, and the sun was still shining—Emily enjoyed the walk to and from work when the weather was nice out and it got darker out later. As she continued to walk, she felt her phone buzz in her pocket and she grabbed it—unlocking it and opening up a text message that just came through.

Sue [5:36 P.M.]

Why aren't you coming out tonight, Dickinson? And why did I have to hear it from Jane and not you yourself?

Emily chuckled as she read the message and began to respond.

Emily [5:38 P.M.]

Not really feeling the whole bar scene tonight. I've had a very long and stressful week. I'm just going to stay in, eat some food, drink wine, and put on a good movie. You know Jane has a big mouth. *tongue sticking out emoji*

Emily continued to walk down the street and it wasn't long until her phone buzzed again.

Sue [5:42 P.M.]

I'm bailing, too, and inviting myself over.

Emily [5:42 P.M.]

You serious?

Sue [5:44 P.M.]

I mean if that's okay with you, of course. I'll bring over some food and wine.

Emily looked up from her phone and bit her lip—thinking for a moment. Sue had been her best friend since middle school—they had been inseparable when they were younger and continued their strong friendship even though life had been busy once they both went to college. They had always been close, but they've gotten even closer over the past couple of years.

Emily [5:47 P.M.]

Obviously, I don't mind. But how are you going to break it to the girls? They're going to think we don't want to hang out with them!

Sue [5:48 P.M.]

Well, we don't want to hang out with them. *winking tongue sticking out emoji*

Emily chuckled again.

Emily [5:49 P.M.]

Lol, I'll be at my apartment soon. Feel free to come whenever.

Sue [5:51 P.M.]

I'll be there for 6:30—food and wine in hand. *wink face emoji*

Emily [5:52 P.M.]

Bet. See you then.

Emily put her phone back in her pocket and continued to walk—finally turning down the street her apartment is on. In reality, Emily did want a night in alone to herself but she found it difficult saying no to Sue. She loved spending time with her and basically jumped at the opportunity to hang out alone any chance she could get. They had a connection with each other that they didn't have with anyone else in the friend group and everyone knew it. It probably won't be much of a surprise to them that Sue is bailing because Emily did.