Class Reunion

Summer had rolled in, and the ten-year Amherst High School class reunion was set for the evening. Nearly everyone from the graduating class of 2012 was coming back into town for it and everyone was talking about it on social media and how excited they were to reconnect with everyone.

Emily Dickinson hadn't set foot in Amherst since she left for college. When she visited with family, it would always be them coming out to see her. Amherst, to her, felt cursed. It's where she fell in love and completely got her heartbroken by Sue Gilbert. They were best friends growing up and realized during high school that they wanted to be more, so they dated for three years and graduated being high school sweethearts.

Right before they both left for college, Sue broke up with her. She didn't want to try the whole long-distance thing and Emily couldn't blame her, really—Sue went to college in California while Emily stayed closer to home, but far enough away in Boston. Emily was heartbroken, though. She couldn't believe Sue could so easily throw away everything they had just like that.

They barely spoke since they broke up ten years ago but the last time they did was a few years back. They always kept eyes on each other through social media—occasionally liking each other's posts or wishing each other happy birthday since their birthdays were so close together, but that was the extent of it.

After college, Sue moved back to the area and got a job teaching in Chicopee, which was about thirty minutes south of Amherst. Emily stayed in Boston and was writing for the Boston Herald. She lived alone in a cozy little apartment with her cat, Felix, and could be seen as a workaholic. Sue, on the other hand, lived in Springfield with her boyfriend, Robert, who they just so happen to graduate with. Sue and Robert had been together a couple of years now, and Emily seethed with jealousy over it at first.

She was hurt that they never found their way back together. Emily was so in love and she thought Sue had felt the same way—she couldn't understand how she could just not even give Emily a second thought and end up moving on with someone else. If Sue said over the past ten years that she wanted Emily back, Emily would jump at the opportunity—she was down bad, even still, but she could never let Sue know that.

...

It was 7 P.M. and Emily pulled her car up to the hotel where the reunion was being held. The class rented out the entire bar for the evening and many people even booked a room for the night since people were traveling in for the event. Once she pulled up to the entrance, the valet driver opened her door for her.

Emily got out of the car and nodded with a small smile, "Thank you." She said, opening her back door and grabbing the small duffel bag she brought. She grabbed some cash and gave it to the valet driver before he got into her car and brought it around to the back parking lot.

She quickly made her way to the front desk of the hotel and was greeted by a young woman with red hair, "Good evening—are you checking in for the high school reunion?"

Emily nodded, "I am."

She smiled up at Emily, "Can I get your name?"

"Emily Dickinson." She said, smiling back at her, nonchalantly eyeing her up and down as she typed into the computer. Emily thought she was cute—she couldn't lie.

"Ahh. Here you are! Room 520." She said, reaching back and grabbing a key off the wall. She handed it to Emily, "Enjoy your stay, Ms. Dickinson."

Emily flashed her a sweet smile and took the key from the woman. She turned on her feet and took a step forward but immediately jumped and stopped in her tracks when she saw who was behind her. She stared between the man and woman in front of her for a moment and internally started to panic—it was Sue and Robert.