Orbit

Luna's POV

The bed shifted and dipped from his weight leaving the perfect cuddle he had been giving me. Not ready for the day, I hugged the blanket tightly. Why is he up so early, I groaned. My foggy brain wanted to go back to sleep til I heard it, the stillness in our room was being broken by a subtle audible whimper from opposite our bed. Diego...

Bruno's ever perfect padre self was already on the case, making me relax into the sheets again. Another more annoyed squeak tossed in his bassinet. That's odd. I squinted at the morning light that crept through the window in our bedroom, seeing Bruno glued in place staring at the dresser across from our bed. His reflection in the mirror that sat on its wooden surface was hard, with his head slightly cocked to the side. Diego burst into cries, so unlike him unless he's been ignored for too long or something was really bothering him. That snapped Bruno out of it and he raced to the crib, clutching our sweet niño to his chest. Hundreds of apologetic kisses were being placed all over his face and tiny hands.

"Why's he crying??", Benji pounded on our door, worry in his tone. We all knew that Diego wasn't a fussy baby so hearing him screaming in the morning meant something was wrong.

"I'm opening the door... ready or not...", his head poked in. The same hard expression that Bruno had earlier now on Benji's face. Great, I guess they weren't quite over the little incident from last night, still on edge.

"Everything's fine.", rubbing my tired face and trying my best to not sound exhausted. "Go back to bed mijo." Beno's eyes rested on Bruno, waiting for him to give the all clear. Those two... I smiled and flopped back into the comfy bed, rolling onto my side.

Our door didn't click shut but I could hear Benji's gentle steps go back to his room. The smell that drifted from our bed sheets wanted to lull me back to sleep, Bruno's sea breeze scent covering every inch of my skin, soaking in like medicine. "I'm sorry mi amor.." The edge of the bed sunk in near my waist and a wriggly pair of baby's fingers grasped at the loose strands of my hair. Bruno's hand brushed them back and out of Diego's reach as I adjusted him to me. More loving strokes over my head came, his fingers weaving pieces of my sandy hair back.

"Are you going to tell me or am I supposed to guess?", his hand continued to soothe me as I pried for him to explain himself. The way his face fell while he had stood frozen at the dresser moments ago was haunting. Something had startled him surely.

After a long pause he took a deep breath, keeping his attention on our sweet Diego as he nursed. "Calma okay...", he held Diego's back to me. Why was he steadying us? My stomach tensed, catching his sorrowful look, mixing with anger. "I think someone was here last night, in our room, going through our things." What... Panic wanted to push through but Bruno's hand on us gave a nudge. I leaned back to peek around his sitting frame on the bed and saw the semi opened drawers, a sleeve from one of my dresses hung out of a drawer while the notes that Bruno normally kept neatly on the top of the cabinet were slightly shuffled, messily fallen over.

"When we checked last night, Benji said he couldn't pick up any distinct scents in the house but....", his voice strained, considering his words. "We'll check again. Okay mi vida." It felt like he was almost trying to comfort himself instead of me, at the thought of someone having lurked around our home. Only somebody with a death wish would be bold enough to rifle through our things. What the hell would they even want that we have? We kept very little things of value and anything worth a peso was up in Casita, securely inside Bruno's room.

Diego's rosy cheeks glowed from in my arms, his long eyelashes had drifted shut. I'm not going to freak out, I'm not going to freak out... Chanting to myself before bringing his body to rest over my shoulder as I sat up. "Mamá!", our door flung open with Mateo groggily wiping his eyes in the hallway. "Beno kicked me out.", a puff of air blew out of him, floating his bouncy curls out of his face. I guess we're up, awesome.