Still Weak

Bruno's POV

The light flecks that speckled within his pastel irises glossed and affectionately blinked up at me. Long deep chocolate lashes veiled the true beauty of his gaze, hiding more pieces of Luna than she knows. I cupped his balmy cheeks in my hand, memorizing how small his fingers feel while he grips one of my pinkies as I take him into the locked away part of my mind where I keep everything special about him. Brushing my thumb gently over a wisp of his hair, he giggled and kicked his plump legs deeper into my lap. Everything about him spoke to my very soul and he's every bit of me and Luna, all the best parts.

"Your mami thinks you aren't ready for your own room mi principito but you've always done things on your own time, huh. A little too fast. A little too eager to meet us. Remember?" My voice a mellow song, watching as a mini puff of air from his chest rustled a strand of my hair in front of him. Long drawn out blinks slowly hooded his watchful stare, fighting to stay open and be with me another second. "¿Estás cansado mi príncipe? Sleep mi cielo.." I brought his weighted body to my chest, letting him rest those squishy cheeks on my shoulder.

Yeah... We couldn't wait to meet you either mijo but you didn't have to be in such a hurry to get here. I smiled down at him, rubbing his back in his empty nursery. The only things we had already brought in were the sofa chair I currently rested on with him and an intricate piece of red tapestry Mirabel had found in town that spoke to her, saying it was meant to be Diegos.

Dash man, huh. I closed my eyes, settling into the cushions and breathed in his sweet summer fragrance, vividly remembering the day he decided to make his grand entrance into this world.

The shapes, sounds and emotions from the memory flooded me. And I could hear the buzz and chirps of the jungle again.

Wet moss soaked my sandals, sinking me into the soil further from the morning rain that had blown through Encanto while everyone slept. "How many weeks did María say again Bruno?" Lo's baritone voice snuffed out all the other wild sounds around us. "She looks wrecked. Don't tell her I said that." A hearty laugh from him rang out louder as he pushed past a thick patch of shrubs, sending them flying into my legs, drenching my pants. "Seriously?", rolling my eyes at how he probably did that on purpose, "Two weeks. And she wouldn't look so tired if she actually listened and rested more. But you try stopping her." Containing Luna's fiery spirit was damn near impossible and expecting her to sit all day for weeks on end was a task not even Abuela could force on her. She waddled with her round belly around the house, Casita, the market, wherever she pleased.

"At least she seems pretty calm so far. You on the other hand..." I couldn't hide how much my nerves ate away at me the past few weeks. What if something goes wrong? What if Diego hates when I hold him? I don't know how to swaddle a bebé... What if the boys feel pushed away? Maybe I should make more time for them before he arrives... Was I supposed to get Luna a gift? Maybe... That seems like something Félix or Augustín would do.

"You're doing it again amigo..." I looked up and noticed I had paced a small trail into the dirt. I hated this waiting game. It allowed far too much of my anxiety to get a hold of me and my thoughts, twisting them into scenarios that kept me up at night.

"Let's just get this over with so we can head back." Arthuro owed me big time for taking his shift with Lo. All so he could watch Isabela graduate from her group and move up a class. The red perimeter flag waved in the humid breeze on the timber post as we reached the final checkpoint.