Phases

Bruno's POV

The second I shut Benji's door their laughter picked back up, two very sweet melodies pitching through the wood that separated us. I have a hunch they are sharing their own version of war stories in there and I'm glad those two have each other. If this house could fit another person in it we'd have moved Arthuro in long ago. He practically lives here most of the time anyway and what would one extra boy matter at this point? Luna had made the suggestion to him months ago but he swears that he'll be moving into Casita soon anyway. Guess we'll see about that...

My hand turned the doorknob to Mateo's room and as quietly as possible I pushed it open, squeezing through the gap into his art filled colorful space. Knocked out, like usual, one arm draped over his head with a long leg slid out from his covers. He was like his namesake, an untamed river that couldn't be contained in a straight line, curving and winding his own path across his bed. A tan leather journal rested open beside him on his nightstand. Pepa must have forgotten to place it back after getting him to bed tonight. Smiling, I picked it up seeing the page that was sprawled out in my palms. This was my journal...

A section of paper at the very bottom had been filled in, in a script not matching mine. Pepa?? I tilted the page towards Teo's window, catching some of the silver moonlight filtering in and my breathing stilled seeing her words.

'You got it from our father, it was all he had to give.
So it's yours to use and cherish, for as long as you may live.

When he got it from his father, there was no dishonor there.
So make sure you guard it wisely, after all is said and done.
You'll be glad the name is spotless, when you give it to your son.'

My choking cry that I held back burned my eyes, blurring her neatly scribbled message to me, to Teo. She sees me, for who I am, finally. I closed the pillowy binding together and pressed the journal to my heart, letting its contents spill over into me and locking them away. This was all I ever wanted, to feel seen and heard by them. I wiped at my eyes, leaning over my sweet niño's tight spiral locks and brushed them back to place the softest of kisses to his forehead. "Te amo hijo mio.", whispering my love into his golden rays of sunshine that soaked up my words.

Gliding over his wooden floorboards and back out his room, careful to not make a sound and wake him from his peaceful dreams, I dropped my forehead against his closed door. Playing the verse from Pepa in my heart a few more times before feeling steady enough to tackle the rest of tonight's events that had unfolded. Luna's ever so faint lullaby serenaded Diego over her chest as she spun light footed around the kitchen floor, a leaf caught in an invisible breeze, drifting in the moonlight that bathed the two of them.

"Hey you..." I timed my step in, matching her delicate movements and cradled their bodies to mine. Had my eyes been closed I would have been sure I was standing in our oasis with her, filled by their summery scent mixing with mine. "... why don't you go to bed amor?" Brushing my nose over hers and skimming gently across her skin to her cheek, finding the perfect spot to kiss where her smile reached my lips. "I'm going to stay up for a bit longer, okay... You two go though." I didn't want her to worry anymore than she already was after reading Ertha's letter but I hadn't planned on sleeping tonight. Even if I wanted to, there was no way sleep would come this time.

"Are you sure? I can wait up for you, I don't mind." Her exhausted heavy eyes wavered as they tried to stay open and force her words onto them. She would absolutely try to stay awake with me if she knew what I had planned but this was my job, my family to watch over. She's given enough of herself to me. Our plump Diego kicked his legs across her belly, wading dreamy waters in her hold, squeaking out a tiny complaint over whatever was playing out in his imagination. I'm glad he never will know what it's like to grow up with my gift or that burden, living like a slave to your magic for others. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Okay, maybe two people come to mind right now.