Chapter 16

The air didn't move at all, and neither did Xelqua. The world seemed to be shocked into silence, an airy silence that foreshadowed a battle that foretold a death. If Xelqua said he wasn't scared he would be lying, yet he knew that he would have to fight this enemy with everything he had. If he didn't... He didn't want to think about what would happen. He turned his sword to face the enemy that was gliding closer. The pace at which he came was not fast, that was for sure, but it almost seemed more dreaded since he wasn't coming at full force.

A moment before what seemed to be the time for impact, a gust of wind came instead that swivelled around him, he turned and prepared for a blow from behind, but there was nothing. "Not bad," Zoridaii said, then finally swinging his sword.

It was also made of ᒷリ↸╎∷╎ but it seemed to be an average army weapon, not one you'd expect from someone who had been hiding somewhere all this time, waiting. "How are you back?" Xelqua asked, blocking the seemingly obvious strike.

He faltered for a second, or at least it seemed like it, Xelqua wasn't sure. How could someone who was preparing for this for maybe 100 years, who didn't look 100 years old, if not older? It confused him for a split second, but the follow up of a blade moved the thought to the back of his head. Xelqua used his wings to get away, for just a split second. "I'm back to finally get revenge and that's all that matters," Zoridaii said.

Zoridaii came forward for another blow which looked like it was coming in from the upper left and then switched to the lower right using his wings to slip around the blade the Xelqua was bringing down to both block then attack, but with the switch it made him receive a blade in the leg. Xelqua managed to move his leg enough so the blade just scratched his skin, but he could still feel the pain radiating throughout the open wound. To stop another attack Xelqua moved back, to give him a moment to think.

Zoridaii moved back from the airspace where the previous exchange just happened. "Getting scared are we?" Zoridaii said.

Xelqua didn't move but Zoridaii did, and at a fast speed as well. "You keep running, such a coward's move," Zoridaii smirked.

Xelqua switched his sword to his right hand and created a small flare of purple in his left, and raised it to the attacking force's face. It made Zoridaii stumble for just a second, but it gave Xelqua enough time to recompose himself. He with the crash of his wings went up to the air and sent balls of purple fire to send him back further. "Magic, powerful at that," Zoridaii said, now having his sword up to block the incoming attacks, "Yet you don't train enough with your blade,"

He kept coming closer, using the blade to knock the spheres of flame to either the left or to the right, luckily the fire that Xelqua had crafted up was made to damage entities other than the world. "The ⨅ᒷꖎ╎⎓ᒷ ̇/ has obviously not taught you well," Zoridaii said.

"For what I lack in swordplay, the more I make up for in magic," Xelqua finally said, putting his sword in the metaphysical and concentrating both hands-on fire attacks, while using his wings to fly around Zoridaii. Zoridaii was prepared for a magical attack and raised a purple barrier around him to stop the magic from harming, though it wouldn't stop Xelqua from using it as a distraction or for knockback. Zoridaii now with his defences up, and with Xelqua still at a far distance, put his sword away and sent fireballs towards him. The magic seemed to be familiar, but in the heat of battle, he couldn't put his finger on it. Xelqua started to pull a shield of violet light around him, similar to the shield that Zoridaii had deployed, though it wasn't as strong since Xelqua was focusing more on firing magic back at them.

Xelqua didn't want to be hurdled back so with the skill he had with his wings he manoeuvred around the incoming attacks, at least fireballs gave him a few seconds to dodge whereas with a sword he would have a split second. Xelqua was able to get into a rhythm, he was sending attacks back to Zoridaii while dodging the ones he said to him and occasionally the attacks he returned to sender. "I have to admit, your magic is stronger than mine, but you are missing something that I have," Zoridaii said, smirking.

Xelqua didn't want to play into his game, but in the pull of the battle he couldn't help but ask his enemy, "What is it that you have that I don't?"
That made the smirk on his face spread, Xelqua was no longer wondering what he was going to say, "You don't have the willingness to kill,"

He then used a spell to propel him, with his wings outstretched, forwards. He pulled out his sword right as he came up close and Xelqua tried to move but winced as he felt it land.

That was the blow he was waiting to land. One that sliced right across his chest, one that cut where Xelqua had been harmed in the void back when he thought this had started. It hit him. No wonder when Zoridaii had hit him with his magic it seemed familiar, it was the same exact spell that was cast on his wings that had almost killed him, and based on the intensity of the spell it seemed that Zoridaii was also the one that cast it. Xelqua was then sent back with another wave of magic that sent him flying back into a tall obsidian pillar, even with the force he was sent back with, there was no crack in the rock. "Well ⨅ᒷꖎ╎⎓ᒷ ̇/ it's time to say goodbye," Zoridaii said coming towards him with his sword raised, which had a faint pulsing of fire magic.

Xelqua hoped that the council members, his friends, would be okay and hopefully be able to help the Hermits. He hoped that even after he was gone that they would forgive him for not telling them about being a watcher. He felt his death was a few metres away. Then he saw a tiny twinkle in the sky, a shooting star seemed to be coming towards the island. A blinding light slashed through Zoridaii and from that light stood a white-haired watcher of mystery, Astaria. Zoridaii faded into light, not a single word had the time to escape his mouth. Xelqua looked to his communicator, it seemed that the others got help from the server members and managed to defeat their opponents. "Thank you, I thought I was dead. That's thrice you've saved me now," Xelqua said.

Astaria walked over, "Are you okay?" was all that she asked.

"Yeah, thanks to you," Xelqua told her, relieved.

"It's okay, get back to the council. I'll probably see you soon," was all she said, getting ready to fly off.

"Really thank you, I'm glad that's over," Xelqua replied.

Then just before Astaria flew away she said, "Xelqua... This is just going to be the beginning,"

TBC in Book 2 Past

WC~ 1227 

Hoped you enjoyed the first book in this series I have planned, I'll try and post the first chapter of Past next week. 

Overall I'd love to hear what you thought about this first book and if you have any questions that I could answer. (As long as they don't give away anything in the future.)