𝑉𝐼

Charlie spent the rest of her christmas day curled up in her bed, reading Jane Eyre. She smiled when reading all the notes Fred had put, many of them put her exact thoughts into words.

Charlie had stopped reading romance novels when she turned 12, that was when her father told her what an arranged marriage was. That was when Charlie learned she was nothing but a pawn to be sold off to a rich, pureblooded man.

At around 6 o'clock, Sophia, Angelina and Alicia barged into Charlie's dorm. The ravenclaw was only expecting Sophia but nothing could ruin her happy mood. This was the first 'good' Christmas she had had in a long time. The fact that Fred was going to the ball with Angelina hadn't crossed Charlie's mind. Her face froze over.

The four girls chatted normally as they got ready. Charlie did Alicia, Angelina and Sophias makeup. The girl had considered making Angelina look like a clown but she decided against it. It wasn't Angelina's fault that Fred liked her, who wouldn't. Angelina was gorgeous, she had beautiful legs, a perfect face and a wonderful personality. She probably had more in common with Fred than Charlie did. At Least Angelina could know Fred publicly without having to worry about a beating.

Once Charlie had done her own makeup, she brushed through her short hair. This was the one time she could put her real 'best face' on. She could be beautiful in the way she wanted to. She wasn't going to grow her hair out like Evan had suggested.

The girl pulled her gown on and emerged from the bathroom, the other three girls gushed over her beauty. They all looked gorgeous themselves. Angelina was wearing a beautiful dark green gown, it complimented her makeup perfectly. Sophia had a maroon gown, it hugged her curves perfectly. Alicia was wearing a gorgeous pink dress, her blush when Charlie had complimented her was wonderful.

Charlie thought Alicia was absolutely stunning, she did. Charlie also knew of the crush Alicia had on Charlie. Maybe the girl reciprocated those feelings but, she couldn't do anything about it. Not when she still liked Fred. Besides, all they could ever be to her family was 'close friends'.

When the four girls walked down the staircase to the yule ball, everyone stared. Fred was mesmerised by Charlie. He couldn't take his eyes off of the girl. She looked absolutely gorgeous. His heart dropped when she turned the other way, away from him and towards Draco. It was his own fault, he knew but it still hurt.

"You look gorgeous, Charlie." Draco smiled at the girl, kissing her hand.

"You look quite handsome yourself, Draco." She curtsied.

After the first dance, Draco got drinks for himself and Charlie. The punch was spiked (obviously) and the two had become tipsy. After a few dances, Charlie ventured off to find Alicia and Sophia. They were in a large group of Gryffindors, for some reason, George was gone. Charlie walked over to them, giggling. Fred hoped that maybe, she'd ask for a dance. Then, she did. "May I have this dance, M'lady?" Charlie giggled, kissing Alicia's hand. The Gryffindor girl who was also quite tipsy, agreed with a giggle. The two danced while the others watched. "I don't like how she's playing with Alicia's feelings." Angelina remarked, a scowl on her face.

Angelina didn't mind Charlie, she was just extremely protective of her friends. So, when Charlie and Alicia left the great hall, both Fred and Angelina were more than willing to eavesdrop on them. The pair found the two girls sitting on the stairs, Alicia's head on Charlie's shoulder.

"- It's not that I don't like you, Alicia. I do. It's just, I accidentally caught feelings for two people I can never have, my family would never allow anything between yourself and I or the other person and I. I also have no experience in the romance department, I've never even kissed anyone, let alone more. Romance just isn't in the cards for me, I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I wish it was, I really really do but, it's not. It never will be." Charlie spoke softly, Fred and Angelina listened closely, hearing the pain in the girl's voice.