Prologue: His Virgin Bride

Looking back, my view of the world has changed over time.

I'll confess that I used to be that ignorant, shallow girl who blamed everything on their kind, but look at me now. I was their Queen. I gave birth to their current Prince and Princess, and I married their King.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if I had wandered further down that path, a life filled with destruction, or peace. I’d never really know.

But I believe that the life I have now would be much better than the alternative, but sometimes, I really do regret marrying him –the Prince of the Night Children.

But sometimes; doesn’t mean always.

There are some advantages after all.

Twenty years ago…

“In exchange for this peace agreement, the Night Children are demanding a bride for their next heir,” Consul Frost announces as a stir of chatter erupts amoung the Court of Hunters. I frown to myself at the news. A bride for their Prince in exchange for peace –it’s not possible. They’ll probably kill the bride as soon as she bares them a baby boy and forget all about the peace, and return to their murderous ways. “But that’s not the problem,” Consul Frost continues.

Silence.

My stomach curls as an ominous feeling begins to settle in.

“They’ve requested for the bride to be one of our own.” The Court goes wild.

“Can you believe this?” Chase asks from beside me. “Those bloodsucking freaks expect us to marry off one of our kind.” He exclaims. “They’ve got to be nuts in their cold skulls to believe that we’d actually agree to this treaty.” He snorts.

I shrug. “I guess it’s a bit odd, but maybe they do want peace.” I suggest. Chase looks at me as if I had grown a second head out of my neck. “It could be true?” I exclaim.

Chase snorts and rolls his eyes. “Kris, knowing you,” Chase says. “You don’t really give a damn unless this involves you in a way.” He states. “Am I right, or am I just right?” He asks me cheekily.

“You know it, Chase.” I tell him with a wink. Chase respones by blowing back a flirty kiss. I laugh. He was so gay at times, but I loved it. It was what made life here as a Hunter enjoyable.

A hand slams onto the table grabbing all the attention in the room as Consul Frost silences us all. “That is enough,” He declares. Sighing to himself, the elderly Hunter rubs at his aged temples. “Now we must come a decision,” He says as he leans forward and places his hands together, his lips form a thin line. “The wedding has been set for the day after tomorrow, time is not on our side right now, but if we agree to this Treaty, it would be the end of it all. This could be the final solution for us. It could solve all our problems.”

Consul Angelica shoots her hand up in the air. “But who shall the bride be?” She asks.

Consul Frost sighs. “The bride is to be a virgin, someone who is pure.” He says as his eyes scan along the table. “I have chosen a potential candidate, but that is only if she agrees to it.” The ominous feeling returns as Consul Frost’s eyes land on me.

“Who?” Consul Angelica asks.

Consul Frost eyes still lingers on me. “Kris,” He says as I feel my body tense up. “Will you be willing to sacrifice yourself to end a thousand year war?” He asks me, his voice hopeful.

I feel every pair of eyes in the room on me. I feel Chase’s lips beside me ear as he whispers, “Shit just got personal,” I hear a light chuckle play off his lips as he sits back in his seat. “So what do you say, Kris?” Chase asks. “Will you marry their Prince?” He teases as he smirks. My fist balls up in curls as I resist the temptation to whack his nuts.