Chapter Three: Resurection With A Price

Kris…

I hear Xavier’s voice call out to me. I was floating in this dark world, my body felt so cold.

Kris, my love, come back to me…

There it was again.

Looking around, I was surrounded by stars. Glowing, golden stars.

I hear a strange noise behind me as I look behind and see a vortex. Before I know it, I’m screaming as I’m being sucked in. I feel a hand clasp onto my mouth as my eyes widen, I look to my side and see Xavier. I was alive. “If I let go, do you promise to stop screaming?” He asks me. I nod as he lets go. “Don’t do that ever again,” He tells me as he gathers me into a warm embrace. I don’t move, I still remembered that talk with Queen Theodora. “Kris, what’s wrong?” He asks me, his face concerned.

“When did you plan on telling me that you were widowed?” I ask him in reply.

Xavier’s eyes sadden slightly, his fist clenches along with his teeth as his jaw tightens. “Who told you about that?” He demands in a dangerously low voice. For once, I wasn’t afraid anymore. It was as if I awakened and was strong enough to stand up for myself now. “Answer me, Kris.” He repeats himself.

“Your mother,” I reply as I look down at the nightgown I wore. I lifted the helm of the dress as I examine the wound, my eyes widens in shock as I look to see that there was nothing there. It was as if I hadn’t been wounded at all. Using my finger, I lightly trace the area where there was meant to be a wound. “I was meant to die that night.” I say as I look up at Xavier. His eyes were watching me. “Why aren’t I dead?” I ask him. His lips twitch, oh no. “What did you do to me?” I yell.

“You’re human, Kris,” He finally speaks up. “You’re not like the others, because unlike them,” He says. “Your body structure is similar to us vampires, and if I turned you. Your body would easily adapt to our instincts and way of survival.” He informs me. I find myself running towards the mirror. “And that’s exactly what I did.”

He was right.

I fall to my knees as I look at the empty space in the mirror where my reflection was meant to be. “Why couldn’t you let me die?” I ask him as I place a hand on the cool surface of the reflective glass.

“Kris,” Xavier says as I hear him come closer.

“Why did you have to turn me?” I whisper as I cover my face with my palms. Oh god –they were cold. I feel the tears come pouring out as I sob quietly into my hands. I can’t believe this. “Everything I swore to kill is everything I am right now.” I tell him as I look at the mirror. “This isn’t how my life was supposed to be.” I add. “I was meant to travel the world, and then marry when I finally fell in love. Not this.” I find myself blabbing. My hands pull away from my face and clasp into balls.

Xavier’s arms come and wrap around me. I struggle before I push myself away from him. “Kris,” He says, but I don’t listen as I stagger backwards. “Don’t be that way, Kris.” He tells me.